x

Square Online: Does Square send transactional emails to customers?

If yes, are there multiple types that will be sent (i.e. on order creation, on order status change, etc. )? Do these emails use a template and if so, is it editable?

Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

@queenfayzel

No update yet, but thank you for checking in! 

Once an update is provided by the Product Team one of our Square Moderators will post a Product Update in the Community. 

Be on the lookout! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 20 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Hey @Michael2020! Welcome to the Community.

We send digital receipts if they request one after a sale is made if that's what you're asking.

If that's not what you're asking- can you be more specific?

Ashley C
Message 2 of 39

hi @ashc,

thanks for your response. here are a few more questions that hopefully clarify what i'm looking to find out about square's ability (or not) to send a transactional email:

1. is the "digital receipt" an email message?
  2. if the "digital receipt" is an email message, can sending it to the customer be triggered via an API call?
  3. can the contents of the email be modified or the styles modified?
  4. is there a link to a screenshot of what the "digital receipt" would look like?
Message 3 of 39

@mnyeus

The digital receipt can come by email or phone number depending on which they choose or which they've chosen with a Square seller before!

As for the API question- I'm not really sure I could answer that as I'm not educated in API calls.

The emails can't be customized or modified since they're just automatic pre-written emails.

And as for an example, I don't have one off hand but you may be able to search the Community for one!

Ashley C
Message 4 of 39
Super Seller

I have a related question...I am wondering if/what emails are sent to customers who place ONLINE orders through our Square site or Weebly site. In other words, if they buy from our website we get a notification of a new order. Then we mark orders as IN PROCESS and then mark SHIPPED. Does Square send automated emails to keep customers notified of the current status. And then when we input a tracking number, is that emailed to the online customer? Thanks!

Message 5 of 39

Hey @HC_Charlie

Customers get an email whenever the item is marked shipped. Whenever it's placed - the status will be pending when the order is first placed. 

Thank you!

Kassi
Message 6 of 39

Does the customer get email update when you update tracking? How are we able to see what Sqaure send on our behalf? BTW I have the most basic seller account.

Message 7 of 39
Super Seller

Thanks for your reply. I'd really like to be able to see what these emails say, and be able to edit them. I had a customer call me last week because they never received any notice that an order they placed had been shipped...eventhough I marked the order as shipped and added the tracking number.

Message 8 of 39

@Kassi_ 

Chiming in here, I also noticed that the customers are not sent email updates when their order is "in progress" and also "shipped". I went over store emails to under settings in the online store and have edits the templates already.

Also, is there a way for the tracking number included in "shipped" email to the customer so they can track it?

Message 9 of 39
Super Seller

thanks. are you saying you have an option to see or edit an email template that gets emailed to your customers who order online? If so can you tell me where you find this? I've had to manually compose emails to all online customers with shipping and tracking info because I can't find if or how Square automates this feature. This is really lacking if Square does not allow this to happen.

Message 10 of 39

@HC_Charlie I am also struggling to find how to send the tracking number to customers.. I will manually type the tracking number in the Orders section, and "mark as shipped", however, the customer only receives the marked as shipped without the tracking number!

I would really like there to be a feature that sends the tracking number instead of bombarding a customer with 3-4 emails for 1 transaction...

Message 11 of 39

@HC_Charlie 

Yes you can edit the template of what the customer "should" see (although I'm also having issues with customers receiving these except for order confirmation!)

Once you go to your online store dashboard, go to >Settings>Store emails. There should find Email Previews section on the bottom where you can edit: Order Confirmation, Order Prepared, Items Shipped, Item Refunded, and Item Cancelled. Click the 3 dots on the right of what you want to edit or to send a test email.

Message 12 of 39

@TiffanyNR 

Yes thank you for that TiffanyNR. But that does not allow me to send tracking number. The issue that we are having is being unable to send a unique tracking number to customers when an item is shipped. 

Message 13 of 39

@medabloom 

Yes, I have that issue too if you read my previous message.

Message 14 of 39

I have just started my site and assumed that since I add the shipping information that it would be emailed to the customer in their 'shipped' email. Pretty galling to realise that square have not been sending this information AT ALL! I mean what a basic feature to just omit. I have started manually sending each customer an email with tracking info now but this is becoming a deal-breaker with square. 

Message 15 of 39
Super Seller

Thanks Tiffany, I was able to find the email section. this is exactly what I was looking for!!! For people wanting to add a tracking number...I did notice you can customize emails and add custom HTML coding to emails. I don't know what the code would be, but maybe someone from Square would know if an HTML code could be used that would pull in the tracking number that would be input into the order page.???

Message 16 of 39

@Kassi_ 

Hi, reposting this message I sent a couple weeks ago. I'd like to see if there's a way to send a email updates in the fulfillment process to customers. Also, a way to send an email with tracking # included for them to track.

Message 17 of 39

Hello there, @TiffanyNR

Thank you for circling back on your question about email notifications. 

I don't have an update on this Feature Request for you right now. It is still with our Product Team. 

Keep an eye out for Product Updates for upcoming launches. 

Kassi
Message 18 of 39

Hi, @Kassi_ - any update on this feature request? Thank you!

Message 19 of 39

Best Answer

@queenfayzel

No update yet, but thank you for checking in! 

Once an update is provided by the Product Team one of our Square Moderators will post a Product Update in the Community. 

Be on the lookout! 

Kassi
Message 20 of 39

Yes, I am interested in this feature as well. Currently sending separate emails but it's not ideal. If we could have the option to add a comment when we mark it complete, it could be included there. 

Message 21 of 39