x

Why do I have duplicate customers?

Why does Square sometimes create multiple records in the Customer file for names spelled EXACTLY the same?  HELP!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @elks2148

Here are some steps to help resolve those duplicate customers showing in your Directory. Something to make note of is they also must have same or VERY similar names on file. It can be a hassle to revert an accidental merge, so duplicate suggestions are not made unless there are several pieces of matching information.

1. Visit your online Customer Directory.
  2. Within the All Customers group, you’ll see an alert notifying you potential duplicates exist.
  3. Click Duplicate Suggestions to review the entries flagged as duplicates.
  4. You can choose to Ignore entries that aren’t duplicates, then click Merge All to combine remaining confirmed duplicates.

Please let me know if this doesn't do the trick for you!

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

I have had to merge clients 2,3,4 times even. I am not sure why they keep coming up as duplicates?

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@Krystalsbarber ;

If a customer gets a new card or uses a different card, even with the same name on the card Square may assign that as a NEW customer and make a duplicate.  This is because people can have the same name as someone else.  I did a search on my first and last name and found at least 4 people with my same name.  I moved over 1500 miles and ended up in a small town with someone with my same name.  Found this out when the Post Office started giving me the other persons mail.  Maybe the person Got a new phone number or used the spouses number to create the account, so now a new customer when they use their number.   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 4