x

HST on Refunds

When I refund a sale that included HST, is the 'taxes collected' total on my Sales Summary report reduced by the HST on that refunded sale?  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Hi @Waddell 

Yes, the "taxes collected" is reduced when you process a refund. 

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 2 of 5

Thanks Luke, but I'm still not sure.  The reason I asked is that my 2021 sales summary showed HST collected for a product category that is Tax-exempt (Apples). Being new to Square and busy setting up many categories and products last year, it occasionally happened that we created a product and forgot to mark it tax-exempt.  But these were occasional errors and quickly rectified, so I still wondered why the annual Taxes collected for the tax-free Apple category was as high.  I dug deeper to investigate: Example: I had an online sale transaction July 15/2021 4:23 pm for $150 + $19.50 HST (incorrectly charged).  Receipt #nZRT I refunded that sale July 16 at 10:02am.  When I view the Sales Summary report for July 1-15, the total Tax collected is $74.75.  When I extend the report timeframe to July 1-16 (after the refund), the total Tax collected is still $74.75.  I had no other taxable sales on July 16 so the total Tax on my Dashboard should be $55.25 at that point ($74.75-$19.50) - No?  It's not a big deal, but I came across this when using Square reports to calculate HST I need to remit to the government for 2021.  Thanks for listening!

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

This just happened where i refunded part of the shipping from an online order and no tax was refunded. 
is someone addressing this or how do we have this addressed?

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Tybrushe1  - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with this Online Order has brought you to the Seller Community😥

This does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without looking at your account with you. For this type of issue, I suggest that you get in touch with our Support Team via phone or email

The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real-time. If you haven't already, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5