x

How do I program square to show the fee and HST separately on my clients' receipts?

I would like to enter the fee and HST numbers separately when processing payments. That way, clients see their HST amount on receipt. How do I do this? Up until now I have been simply charging a lump sum, and that is what each client sees on their receipt.

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@Robin3 Have you considered using the taxes settings? I think that might help.

You can create a tax and name it 'HST' (or any other name!). When you choose the settting Add Tax to Price the tax will be calculated on the total amount of the charge, and it will appear on your customers receipts too (see below!)

To create a tax from the app:

1. Navigate to the Settings section and tap Taxes.
  2. To create a new tax tap the + icon in the top right.
  3. Enter the name and percentage. 
  4. Tap Applicable Items and toggle the switch next to Custom Amounts ON. 
  5. Tap Item Pricing and select Add Tax to Price
  6. Tap Save!

If you set up a tax this way it'll automatically be applied when you select an item or when you enter a custom amount at Checkout. Your customer's receipt will show the item name/custom amount, and the tax will be included on a separate line, like this:

You can aslo set up and manage taxes from your online Square Dashboard. If you have any questions about this let me know!

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Admin

Best Answer

@Robin3 Have you considered using the taxes settings? I think that might help.

You can create a tax and name it 'HST' (or any other name!). When you choose the settting Add Tax to Price the tax will be calculated on the total amount of the charge, and it will appear on your customers receipts too (see below!)

To create a tax from the app:

1. Navigate to the Settings section and tap Taxes.
  2. To create a new tax tap the + icon in the top right.
  3. Enter the name and percentage. 
  4. Tap Applicable Items and toggle the switch next to Custom Amounts ON. 
  5. Tap Item Pricing and select Add Tax to Price
  6. Tap Save!

If you set up a tax this way it'll automatically be applied when you select an item or when you enter a custom amount at Checkout. Your customer's receipt will show the item name/custom amount, and the tax will be included on a separate line, like this:

You can aslo set up and manage taxes from your online Square Dashboard. If you have any questions about this let me know!

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 13

I am unable to add a Service Charge to my online orders.  It doesn't appear at checkout. 

Message 3 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Gmeel57,

Thanks for writing in to our Seller Community with this question. Right now, Services Charges aren't available for Square Online, Square Appointments, Square Invoices, Square Online Checkout or Afterpay transactions. 

I'll pass your feedback onto our team! We're always looking to expand the range of products we offer ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 4 of 13

This comment was created by merging the thread "Can i have an HST tax and a service fee tax in the tax category and how is it called in the choice l". 

How do i do it and is it possible 

Message 5 of 13

Hello @PierresTheLimi

I went ahead and merged your thread with this one, since this questions been asked before. This makes the community easier to search for other members. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I recommend taking a look at Helen's reply above! 

Message 6 of 13

I'm operating my coffee business in Ontario, Canada.

In Ontario, Canada, the tax law is 13% on all food and beverage items EXCEPT when the total bill is under $4. In that case, the tax is only 5%.

Is it possible to set this up in Square? If so, how do I go about doing this?

I'm reading the article on creating taxes, but it appears that the tax applies to individual items and not to overall bill. Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Seller Community. I've merged your post with an existing thread that explains how other sellers are tracking HST through Square. While we don't have an automatic tax option for those smaller payments, you can look into some workarounds in this thread.

Thank you!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 13

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm in the same boat

Message 9 of 13
Alumni

Welcome to the Community @LunaHandpies!! 

Workarounds and helpful links are posted in this thread above. Did they help? If not, can you explain with more details on what you're looking to do? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 13

Not really, I ended up finding a work-around.

For all the Under $4 items, I created a second identical item except labelled as under $4 and then edited the item so it was taking the 5% tax. Then the person handling cash needs to manually choose that item. Obviously error-prone when the shop is busy so this is less than ideal.

Message 11 of 13
Beta Member

I really hope that @Square fixes this issue.  That would be really difficult to calculate the items in your head to see if it is under the $4 mark to add the proper tax.  It's making me reconsider using the program.

Message 12 of 13
Beta Member

I've selected the box saying "charge taxes on delivery fees" however they are not being calculated at checkout. Taxes seem to be working properly on items

Message 13 of 13