x

How do I troubleshoot the Square Terminal?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Square Terminal prints a receipt even when 'no receipt' is selected. What a waste of paper!

After a customer pays by debit or credit, they are offered receipt options: sent as text message, or e-mail, or printed on paper, or no receipt. When no receipt is selected, a receipt still prints. I understand this is probably a 'merchant copy', but this merchant does not want to waste the paper! I can not find a way to suppress this other than disabling the printer altogether, which I do not want to do, because one of the main reasons I bought the Terminal is to have the option to print a receipt readily available. All of the transaction info we need to keep track of is easily accessed through our account info in the case of a charge back, etc, so surely we do not need to keep the merchant copy. Am I missing something, or is this a glitch that will soon be corrected in an update?

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @SweetEarth! Do you have Sign and Tip enabled? With Sign and Tip your customers add the tip for you to settle later on - but it'll still print one a merchant copy of the receipt.

If you aren't using Sign and Tip can you try these troubleshooting steps for Terminal or call our team so we can help you to troubleshoot! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Beta Member

so much for the paperless shopping experience

given the transactions are handled online there is no need for a merchant to have paper receipts

Message 2 of 9
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @SweetEarth! Do you have Sign and Tip enabled? With Sign and Tip your customers add the tip for you to settle later on - but it'll still print one a merchant copy of the receipt.

If you aren't using Sign and Tip can you try these troubleshooting steps for Terminal or call our team so we can help you to troubleshoot! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 9

Have a number of Square handheld terminals and there are times where after you insert the card into the device it is stuck at processing. Any payments done via tap (Apple/Google Pay) still work, however.

Curious is anyone has experienced this before and what next steps I should take. Note that we have restarted the device and still had the same result.

Message 4 of 9
Alumni

Hey @lcayetano - sounds like you might be running into some software trouble.

First I'd check if your software is up to date on your Terminal from Settings > General > About Terminal. If there's an update available, select to install it. 

If that doesn't fix your issue, check out @Helen's post above for more troubleshooting.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 9

Iโ€™m currently using the square terminal and have been for about 4 months now.  For the most part itโ€™s worked pretty well but now a few times this weird glitch or freeze has happened when my clients are putting in their Pin.  Sometimes some numbers work but not all, it doesnโ€™t really make sense to me because I can usually hit cancel on the screen, sometimes itโ€™s totally froze though as well.   Itโ€™s not a wifi issue because Iโ€™m only a few feet away from my modem, itโ€™s also always fully charged and restarted frequently.  Iโ€™ve also tried to restart the terminal when itโ€™s happening and it still continues.
Iโ€™ve now had to manually key in some transactions which go through(at a higher fee of course) but Iโ€™m just so puzzled! 

Please help!  

Message 6 of 9
Alumni

Can you try the troubleshooting steps linked in in this thread? @Jessie-Marie

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 9

I have tried most of these options, it doesnโ€™t seem to be the same problem as others are having in this thread.

thanks though! 

Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

Sometimes I forget to plug my terminal in so I have to cold boot it in the AM after it charges for a few minutes. I wonder if that has been helpful for keeping it from crashing as I see reported here?

Message 9 of 9