x
Admin

How to Process Refunds with Square

In this post we’re sharing some of the common questions around processing refunds with Square. You can issue a refund from the Square app, Square Terminal, or from your online Square Dashboard. Learn more about how refunds work.

If you have any additional questions about refunds please reply below. 

Note: Any transactions processed using Interac Debit must be refunded in person on your Square Point of Sale app with the original payments card.

How do I process a refund from the Square app?

Here are the steps to issue a refund from the Square Point of Sale app:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner to navigate to the menu.
  2. Tap Transactions.
  3. Select the payment you’d like to refund > tap Issue Refund.
  4. Tap Select All Items to refund the entire sale, select the specific items you’d like to refund, or tap Amount to refund a specific dollar amount.
  5. Tap Next.
  6. Select items to restock and choose a reason, or tap Skip Restock.
  7. Tap Refund.

You can also process full, itemized or partial refunds from your online Square Dashboard. Note: Transactions processed using Interac Debit cannot be refunded from your Dashboard and must be refunded in person on your Square Point of Sale app or Square Terminal with the original payment card.

How do I refund a Square Online payment?

For payments made through your Square Online you can refund the payment and cancel the order, or you can refund the payment without canceling the order. Visit Square Support for step-by-step instructions to cancel and refund Square Online orders.

Can I issue a refund to a Square Gift Card?

Yes. You can process a refund to a plastic Square Gift Card with the card or with the 16-digit gift card card number. Here are the steps to issue a refund to a Square Gift Card. Follow the same steps to issue a refund to a Square eGift Card using the full 16-digit eGift Card number.

Is there a fee to refund a payment?

No, there is no fee to refund a payment. The full amount of the payment is refunded to the customer.

How long does a refund take to be processed? 

Refunds can take between 4 and 14 business days to be processed by Square and your customer’s card issuing bank. Learn more about how refunds work in this Square Support article.

Will my customer be notified when the refund has been initiated? 

If your customer paid by card and entered their email address or phone number to receive a digital receipt they will receive a notification when the refund is initiated. However, if your customer paid by cash or other tender they will not automatically receive a notification. 

Once you have refunded the payment you can send your customer an updated copy of their receipt. To resend a receipt: go to the Transactions section of your Square app or from your online Square Dashboard > select the transaction > select Issue Receipt.

Will I be notified when the refund has been completed?

When a refund to a card payment is initiated you will receive two email notifications - one when the refund is requested and another when the refund has been completed. 

You will not receive email notifications for cash or Other Tender refunds (e.g. cheque), as these types of refund are completed immediately.

When I try to refund a payment I see ‘Refund Error: Transaction can’t be refunded after 120 days from the original sale’

Refunds processed through Square on a mobile device must be requested and completed within 120 days of the original transaction. Payments refunded via your online Square Dashboard can be refunded within one year of the original transaction date.

Payments processed through your Square Online site are only eligible to refund within 120 days.

Do I need my customer's card to process a refund? 

Any transactions processed using Interac Debit must be refunded in person on your Square Point of Sale with the original payments card. For all other payment cards you can process a refund from the app or from your online Square Dashboard or from your Square Point of Sale without your customer’s card. 

My customer hasn’t received their refund yet, what should I do? 

Refunds can take up to 14 business days to be completed. Your customer should contact their bank or card issuer directly if they haven’t received their refund. If your customer has already reached out to their issuer please contact our Customer Success team directly.

How do I include my refund policy on my Square receipts?

You can customize your refund and return policy from the Receipt settings of your online Square Dashboard. Your policy will appear on email, text, and printed receipts. If a return policy is absent, it’s assumed there’s no policy. Be sure to clearly state if you don’t offer refunds or warranties.

For Square Online, you can include information about return policies in the Store policies section of your checkout page. Head to our Support Centre to learn how to manage checkout options.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Is there a way to issue a custom refund from a purchase made before I was using the Square system? or just a custom amount, in general, that doesn't require me to find the transaction on Square?

Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @KibbleCupboard -

Thank you for posting your question about refunds. Right now, it would only be possible to issue refunds on payments you took through Square. 

Our system doesn't have the capability to register anything that was taken on previous systems. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 5

Hello. Why would we be getting this error message 

The requested refund amount exceeds the amount available in your Square account balance to refund.

We were unable to process a refund to gift card due to this error msg. 

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @BintheC!👋

Are you following these steps to refund to a gift card? Since you are not actually moving money between the business and the customer, that error message does not make sense.

1. Open the navigation menu and tap Transactions.

2. Enter the receipt number or the credit card number in the search bar to find the transaction.

3. Tap the transaction you want to refund and select Issue Refund.

4. Select the items or the amount you want to refund and tap Next

5. Under Refund To, select Gift Card > Create eGift Card.

6. Enter the customer’s email address in the box. This will autofill if you have already added your customer’s email to their profile in your customer directory. On the customer-facing screen, your customer can edit the email address or enter in a new email, then  tap Done

7. Confirm the email address with your customer, then tap Done

8. On the Refund Complete window, tap Done

Try these steps again, and if it does not work, I can take a deeper look with our product team. 

Message 5 of 5