x

Invoice - Allow Customer to Save Card Option Not Working

I checked the box on the invoice that allows customers to save their credit card on file. I then send an invoice to myself to see what that invoice looked like... The button to pay online is there but there is no option to save credit card on file.

On a slightly different note, I also sent myself a test invoice for $1.00 and paid it online and it worked but the receipt is suppose to allow the customer to sign up with square for free transaction fees of up to $1000 and that did not show up on the receipt either. 

Third question: I set myself up as a customer to do several tests before I send all my customers invoices and I've sent myself several invoices to the same email and today, it came back to the dashboard as undeliverable. I tested the email right after and it works so why is it showing as undeliverable when it has worked before and the email address is fine?

Thanks and sorry, I'm new to the invoicing system and trying to work out the kinks before I use it live. 

Message 1 of 15
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @DianaOnSquare! I'm happy to answer your questions!

First, your customers can save their card information when paying an Invoice. I recommend making sure to check the box next to Allow Customer to save a card on file:

Also keep in mind the option to save their card information won't appear in the email your customers receive. They need to click Pay Invoice first. Then from the new browser window they can enter their card information and check the box authorizing Square to store their card on file:

If this option isn't appearing after your customers click Pay Invoice you'll need to edit the Invoice. To do this:

1. Select Invoice in question from your Dashboard. 
  2. Click Edit and check the box next to Allow Customer to save a card on file.
  3. Click Send and a new, edited version of the Invoice will be sent to your customer.

Second, the free processing referral will appear won't appear for your customers when they pay an Invoice. I'm sorry for the confusion! Referral information will only appear on receipts that are issued after you take a card payment using a card reader or manually enter card information to the app.

Third, I'm sorry to hear that your test emails weren't delivering. It sounds like you did all the correct troubleshooting, i.e. making sure the email address was entered correctly, and resending the Invoice. If you continue to see this error please contact our team so we can investigate.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 15
Admin

Best Answer

You're welcome!

Let me know if you have another questions while you're getting used to Square Invoices. 😀 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @DianaOnSquare! I'm happy to answer your questions!

First, your customers can save their card information when paying an Invoice. I recommend making sure to check the box next to Allow Customer to save a card on file:

Also keep in mind the option to save their card information won't appear in the email your customers receive. They need to click Pay Invoice first. Then from the new browser window they can enter their card information and check the box authorizing Square to store their card on file:

If this option isn't appearing after your customers click Pay Invoice you'll need to edit the Invoice. To do this:

1. Select Invoice in question from your Dashboard. 
  2. Click Edit and check the box next to Allow Customer to save a card on file.
  3. Click Send and a new, edited version of the Invoice will be sent to your customer.

Second, the free processing referral will appear won't appear for your customers when they pay an Invoice. I'm sorry for the confusion! Referral information will only appear on receipts that are issued after you take a card payment using a card reader or manually enter card information to the app.

Third, I'm sorry to hear that your test emails weren't delivering. It sounds like you did all the correct troubleshooting, i.e. making sure the email address was entered correctly, and resending the Invoice. If you continue to see this error please contact our team so we can investigate.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 15

Thank you. This is very helpful. Much appreciated. 

Message 3 of 15
Admin

Best Answer

You're welcome!

Let me know if you have another questions while you're getting used to Square Invoices. 😀 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 15

I have a batch of invoices to send out. Some of my clients are on automatic payment service where I automatically charge their card and send them a receipt. I will emailed them all (except for one) to ask them to click that box when they go to pay their invoice for the first time using this new system if they want to continue using the automatic payment method. While imputing my clients in the system, I noticed one of them already had a credit card on file in square associated to their customer account on file. What is the best way to do this one invoice so that they don’t get the pay box in the email but instead they get an invoice that says paid and a receipt? Would picking the ‘share URL’ option on the delivery field then paying the invoice from here work or is there a better way? Thanks for all your help.

Message 5 of 15
Admin

Hi again @DianaOnSquare!

If a customer's card is already saved you can create a new invoice and use that card. When you've charged the new invoice you and your customer will get a email confirming that the Invoice has been paid. So you're absolutely right, your customer won't have to click Pay Invoice!

To steps to use a card on file with an invoice are as follows:

1. Confirm the amount of the charge with your customer.
  2. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and click Invoices.
  3. Click Create Invoice and fill in the information (select the customer in question from your directory).
  4. For the Invoice Method, use the drop-down menu to select a payment card.
  5. Click Charge. If you've selected a card on file the option to Send will change to Charge, but as mentioned your customer will receive an email to confirm the Invoice has been paid. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 6 of 15

Thanks. One of the customers I have already show a card on file. This happened automatically so I’m guessing it recognized their email address. I tested the invoice system and tried to do what you said but the drop down list only shows ‘email invoice’ or ‘share invoice using url’ - pay invoice was not one of the options. They have already authorized us to automatically charge their credit in our old invoicing system. I have been manually processing their payment through square in the past but that was before I set up my customer list in square or invoicing system through square.

Message 7 of 15

I just checked using the laptop and actually, you are correct, the 'charge card' does show up on the dropdown list when I sign in using the browser on my laptop or full mode on the phone... It does not show up if I use my phone square app... This is great to know... Thank you for your patience as I get familiar with the square invoice system. I am exited to use it as I think it will make payment for our clients a lot more convnient.  

Message 8 of 15
Admin

You're welcome! I'm glad you were able to see this option to charge the card from your online Square Dashboard. 😀

You should be able to see the same option on the app as well. In order to see this option you must add the customer (whose card you have saved on file) to the Invoice first.

To charge a card on file with Invoices from the app:

1. Tap Invoices > Create Invoice.
  2. At the very top of the screen tap Add Customer and search for a customer. 
  3. When you select the customer (tap on the name) you will see '1 Card on File' (if you don't see this you might have selected the wrong customer, or have a duplicate customer).
  4. After you've selected the right customer tap Add to Invoice.
  5. Tap Add Item to select an item or enter a custom amount.
  6. Tap Invoice Method and select Charge [card brand] ending in [last four digits of the card].

You can then complete the rest of the Invoice details and tap Charge in the top left of your screen!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 15

Hi again, I think I have almost all my questions and this is hopefully my last one. I have a few clients that are on autmatic payment in my old invoicing system. They have been paying using credit card and I have been manually processing them using square in the past. I am hoping that this transition will be seamless for them so I was wondering if I send the invoice via URL but acutally not send the URL to them and just pay the amount manually via square like I have in the past then use square to email the receipt to their email address on the square customer file, will the customer information update so that the card is linked to their account? If this is the case, then I can just pick the 'pay invoice' from the delivery meathod from thereon forward and not much will change on the customer side of things, which makes this transition very seamless for them. Thanks for your time.

Message 10 of 15

On a side note, I don't have the name on the card for these files as square never asked for the name, just the card #, the expiry and the ccv # so that is all the information I have on file. I tried to add cc info on the files but it wanted the name on the card, which I don't want to bother my clients so I have not asked them yet unless I have to during this transition. Thanks again for your help.

Message 11 of 15

Thanks - so I followed your instructions on using a credit card for invoice delivery on the app and wondered why it didn’t work for me - then I realized that maybe I should update the ap and low and behold, there it was 🙂 

Message 12 of 15
Admin

Wonderful! It's always a great idea to check for updates to make sure you have the latest features! 

😀

And to answer your other question you will need your customer full name (as the name appears on their card) to set up their cards on file with Square. It's a bit like when you pay for something with your card on a website. You need to enter all of the card information to complete the payment. There's more information about card on file and your customer's information here

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 13 of 15

Thanks 🙂 I got all my questions answered so far and ready to invoice everyone.

Message 14 of 15

Just thought I’d provide an update. I’ve sent out a bunch of invoices and some have already been paid - including clients that are on automatic reoccurring payments. Now e just have to train our clients to read their emails. Some have not viewed it yet and they were sent on the 5th. Being able to see if the invoice has been viewed is very helpful. I love that feature. Thanks for all your help.

Message 15 of 15