x

Is the weight of items visible to customers anywhere?

Just wondering if the weight of items is visible to the customer anywhere while purchasing or on the receipt? I'm having some issues with setting shipping rates by weight.

To hopefully clarify my issue, here is an example:

Order #1 - I have 1 item that is 0.8 kg with a $20 shipping fee, sent as a parcel.

Order #2 - I have 4 items with a weight of 0.2 kg each and totals 0.8 kg, sent as letter mail they will be charged $20 due to the shipping rule.

So here is the issue, order #2 in reality would be cheaper to send since it would be sent through letter mail and when consolidated the weight would be less as it would be sent in one mailer vs 4 separate mailers.

So if the weight isn't visible to the customer anywhere then I can try setting up different shipping rules to somehow accommodate.

(or as I've commented in another thread it would be great if we could set shipping rates per item, this would help with this issue).

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @gw123

I use a weight setup for my shipping too, the weight never affects anything on the customerโ€™s end so youโ€™re all set to use a random weight set up to make shipping rules! 

hope I could help.

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @gw123

I use a weight setup for my shipping too, the weight never affects anything on the customerโ€™s end so youโ€™re all set to use a random weight set up to make shipping rules! 

hope I could help.

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 2 of 6

Great thanks!

Message 3 of 6

I have also done this so I can ship my smaller items lettermail. I just did a test run but they are not showing up properly at checkout. I've double checked all my entries in fulfillment and it should be working. Have you guys experienced inconsistencies with square checkout using this method? Here is my setup and issues:

I have a product that I can juuuust fit lettermail. I have the weight of it set at 0.1kg.

My shipping rates are:

0.0 - 0.1kg = $5

0.11 - 0.2kg = $10

0.21 kg + = default $15

If someone were to order 1, I could send it lettermail.

If someone were to order 2, I could send it lettermail in 2 separate packages.

If someone were to order 3+, I would send it as a parcel.

In my test run I added 1 item to cart, and shipping was $10, then I tried 2 and shipping was $10, then I tried 3 and shipping was $5... I don't know what's wrong.

Message 4 of 6

I have just tried it again, changing my $10 option to 0.1kg- 0.2kg to eliminate any possible gaps and it worked.. kind of.  

1 order was $5 - correct

2 orders was $10 - correct

3 orders was $10 - incorrect. 

3 orders would have been 0.3kg which would have fallen outside of my rule settings and should have defaulted to $15. I see this as yet another bug with the square system.

If someone could look into this please it would be of so much help. Offering lower shipping rates to customers when possible would be very valuable. 

Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

Another option might be to put in a Service Fee that covers letter mail shipping? And then maybe zero-weight (or 0.001) your letter mail items, leaving the rest of the weight system intact for other purposes.

PermafrostDes_0-1634091649062.png

Message 6 of 6