x
Beta Member

Looking for a recommendation for accounting/bookkeeping app/software

Hi,

We're opening a store soon and looking for an accounting/bookkeeping app/software that integrates well with Square.

After looking into the details of each of the apps, it's still hard to make a decision.

Quickbooks online has terrible reviews about its syncing with square. Others are crazy expensivefor a small business.

It looks like it's between Kashoo and Zoho Books. Kashoo has no Android app and it's almost a deal breaker.

Maybe the hive brain has some insight..

So here's the wish list:

1. Instant and automatic integration after each transaction. I don't want to spend my time fixing syncing issues, because technology should work for me, not the other way around.

2. Detailed syncing - items, refunds, discounts (inc. categories or campaign tags), cancellations.

3. Can track expenses with mobile receipt scans.

4. Works on Android. Could live without it, but would really prefer to have it.

5. Up to $30-40 / month.

Anyone has a recommendation?

Thanks!

Tom

Message 1 of 31
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi @Helen, Thank you for replying. I decided to go with Zoho Books. For anyone that may read this, I'll give my reasoning.

Kashoo is relatively cheap, and I think is the only one that have instant sync with Square. However, there is no Android app and It is has limited importing capabilities. I have a year's worth of expenses logged in a spreadsheet and I cannot import it to Kashoo.

Xero - to track expenses you have to go with the top tier $60/m plan. That's crazy.

Zoho - Price is pretty good (less than $16/m for mid-tier plan when paid annually). However syncs overnight. And you have to go with the top tier $29/m for unlimited number of contacts (=customers, so for retail it's the only way).

Freshbooks - has not builting integration with Square.

Quickbooks Online - reviews mention many issues with the sync with Square

All others are more expensive or lack basic features.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Admin

Hello @Tommer! Helen here from the Community team. I took a look and we haven't had any reviews for Kashoo or Zoho Books in the Seller Community yet but I'll keep an eye out for any mentions for you.

In the meantime, there is more information about Kashoo and Zoho Books in our Support Center. Also, it looks like Xero Accounting has a free option (or subscription plans start at $9), an Android app, and a new expenses feature too! It might be worth checking out. There's a complete list of accounting apps that integrate with Square in the Apps section of your online Square Dashboard. If you hear about an accounting software product that Square don't integrate with yet - but that would meet all your needs - let us know here and we'll share your request with the Integrations team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 31
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi @Helen, Thank you for replying. I decided to go with Zoho Books. For anyone that may read this, I'll give my reasoning.

Kashoo is relatively cheap, and I think is the only one that have instant sync with Square. However, there is no Android app and It is has limited importing capabilities. I have a year's worth of expenses logged in a spreadsheet and I cannot import it to Kashoo.

Xero - to track expenses you have to go with the top tier $60/m plan. That's crazy.

Zoho - Price is pretty good (less than $16/m for mid-tier plan when paid annually). However syncs overnight. And you have to go with the top tier $29/m for unlimited number of contacts (=customers, so for retail it's the only way).

Freshbooks - has not builting integration with Square.

Quickbooks Online - reviews mention many issues with the sync with Square

All others are more expensive or lack basic features.

Message 3 of 31
Admin

Thanks so much for this short 'review' of these integrations @Tommer. I've marked your last post as a Best Answer so that other sellers can find this too! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 31

How has it been working so far? Have you ever used Quickbooks Desktop? Do you carry a lot of inventory? How easy was it to figure out? Does it integrate well with Square?

Message 5 of 31

Hi @Tommer . Can you offer feedback on your Zoho Books experience up to this point? I'm in the same boat now, considering Kashoo vs. Zoho, and have limited accounting experience and time. Looking for something easy to use that syncs well with Square. Thanks!

Message 6 of 31
Beta Member

Hi @ttn,

I've been using zoho with square for about 8 months and very happy with it. 

No issues with the integration and syncing with square and the bank. 

Just know that any payments on square other than cards (cash, certificates, other etc) will be categorized as cash on zoho. Not a big deal as long as you're aware of it. 

Message 7 of 31

Thank you @Tommer! I've just signed up for their free trial and will see how it goes. 

Message 8 of 31
Beta Member

Hello @Tommer  

Are you still using Zoho? If so still happy? Do you know if they have enhanced cash types for of payment to log as cash or check? 

Thanks!

Message 9 of 31
Beta Member

@EspinolaHS Yes still with them and still happy. They id have a temporary issue a few months ago when some banks made changes to how their feed work, but it was resolved.

I also appreciate that for 3 years they haven't increased their prices.

As for logging payment types, yes we do log checks and cash separately.

Be aware that "Other Payment Types" in square will show up as part of your cash sales. For example we use "Other Payment Types" for doordash orders.

Message 10 of 31
Admin

@Tommer From me and everyone you've helped in this thread, thank you so much for sharing your insights (since 2019!!)

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 11 of 31
Beta Member

@Helen Thank you!

If it's ok, I am sending you a message with some suggestions.

Message 12 of 31
Admin

Of course, thank you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 13 of 31

Don't get Xero! Wasted my time on this all morning. You can't send invoices and expect the recipient to pay with Square. You can use Stripe, PayPal, etc but no option for Square. 

Also Square dumps a sum of all your payments into your bank acct once per day... so no way to auto-create invoices and cleanly link specific payments to them.

Message 14 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for jumping in here and being willing to share your experience with Xoro, @rpalmer123. You are correct, as well. Currently Square does not offer ability to auto-create Invoice, and this would be considered a Feature Request. 

Should anything change on this front, we will vocalize an announcement here on this thread. Thanks, again!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 31

Hello @Tommer 
almost a year after writing your review, are you still happy with Zoho books? I'm looking to move away from Quickbooks. thanks

Studio 59 Salon
Message 16 of 31
Beta Member

Hi @59Salon!

Yes I'm still with Zoho and pretty happy with the workflow.

My uses are very basic - mostly categorizing expenses and revenue.

Most importantly, syncing with square and banks/cards works very well.

Now I'm paying $19/m since I have more than 500 contacts.

Still highly recommended.

Cheers

Message 17 of 31

Are you still happy with Zoho Books? 

I can't deal with Quickbooks Online anymore & am going to change.  It appears Freshbooks integrates with Square now...  Zoho Books was actually my first accounting program, but I was extra cheap back then & their pricing per user made me angry - they've changed their pricing model and I'm paying QBO WAY too much!  ...thinking we should have stayed with Zoho...  We're a service-based business... I'm looking forward to your reply.

Message 18 of 31
Beta Member

Yes. Still happy with Zoho, and still paying the $19/m.

My previous recommendation stands.

Message 19 of 31
Admin

Thank you for all of your help and recommendations in this thread @Tommer!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 20 of 31
Beta Member

My pleasure. I know it can be frustrating to research into these things.

Message 21 of 31