x
Beta Member

What’s the maximum variations allowed per item?

What’s the maximum variations allowed per item?

Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

@claudrolet I reached out to someone on our Product team and it looks like the maximum number of variations per item is 250!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Hi @claudrolet! Welcome to the Community! 

How many variations were you trying to put with each item? 

Ashley C
Message 2 of 21
Beta Member

Hi,

I need to get the answer so it’ll confirm how I will set up my dashboard.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 21

Best Answer

@claudrolet I reached out to someone on our Product team and it looks like the maximum number of variations per item is 250!

Ashley C
Message 4 of 21
Beta Member

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

Message 5 of 21

@claudrolet Any time! 👍

Ashley C
Message 6 of 21
Beta Member

Question - could the number of variations per item be increased above 250?

Message 7 of 21
Admin

Hey @Healhaven-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

You are correct, as of right now the maximum number of variations is 250. I will pass your feature request along to the appropriate team to see if we have any plans to increase that number/limit.

Thanks again! 🌟

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 8 of 21

We would also like this option. We have 32 flavors of ice cream and cannot allow someone to pick two different flavors for a cone. Having 2 options each with all the flavors exceeds the 250 maximum. 

This is such a basic thing and because of this Square won’t won’t for us.

Message 9 of 21
Beta Member

I am very curious what you are doing that needs so many variations and my question is would this not lead to a massive drop down menu for the customer to navigate? I am sure you have a reason I am just curious haha

Message 10 of 21

I have this issue, i own an art supply store, and some of our products have up to 500 different color options! it is sooo frustrating!! we have to make everything it's own item because we can't really split the colors to make sense 😞

Message 11 of 21

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there a way to get more then 250 variants?

I need to use more then 250 variants. Modifiers wouldn't work as i would like to add pictures to it. Can i have more the 250 in a premium setting?  

Message 12 of 21
Alumni

This is considered a feature request, @Saffron. I've moved your post over to this thread where others have asked for this same thing, so that you will be notified if we post an update into this thread.  To be able to provide a bit more clarity - and possibly some advice - what kind of variations are you adding to a single item that you need over 250?

Valentina
Message 13 of 21

Hi Valentina,

We are currently having issues syncing our custom cart to Squareup because we have also reached a maximum limit of 250 variations, we need this updated to it'll render the system useless.

We have threads that come in 450 different colours, all of which have their own image and SKU.

Who can I speak to regarding this to get it resolved asap?

Thanks

Message 14 of 21
Alumni

Hi @JanomeCentral - and thanks for posting here in the Seller Community

The maximum number of item variations is still 250. Have you considered breaking up your 450 threads into smaller groups?

For example:

• Different thread types
  • Separate by color - blues, reds, yellows, other colors
  • Brand

Could a setup like one of those possibly work for your business?

Valentina
Message 15 of 21

Hi Valentina,

Thanks for your response and apologies for the late reply.

I'll ask our client about this as at the moment it was working great on the cart by selecting a variant without the need to create separate products.

To be honest, this is very basic on any cart and should already be integrated for those using Squareup.

Can you tell me how long the featured request has been sitting waiting to be actioned and if there is going to be an increase shortly?

I'm sure 500 max would be suffice for most stores, saying that I do think 450 was a lot myself but it's an issue that exists either way.

Thanks

Message 16 of 21
Beta Member

I run into this problem A LOT.  We sell uniforms and clothing.   On one pair of police pants they come in 12 colors, 14 waist sizes and 4 different inseams.  I don't want to break it out into multiple products by color because the SKUs are linked to our Woocommerce site and I don't want all the extra products, it gets too confusing for the buyers.

Message 17 of 21

We are also running into this problem, We have a product that is for fabric remnants and has many everchanging variations. We need more variations available.

Message 18 of 21

Thank you for coming to the Community, @Disco123

I appreciate your time for asking about this Feature Request for more variations for your items. 

This will get escalated to our Product Team, so they can look into this for the future. 

Kassi
Message 19 of 21

We have a fabric store and need the ability to have hundreds of variations of color for products. I do not want to break up products into smaller groups, I want Square to allow us the ability to have as many variations of color for each product as we want. Why are there limits???

As well, Square limits the number of colors that we can enter as options, so we can not even enter all the color options of our color library into the color options set. This is preventing us from using Square POS. When will this be addressed?

Message 20 of 21

Hi @Disco123,

Thanks for writing in with this question!

The reason there are limitations to how many variations and options can be created is that performance slows down when this number is exceeded. While I wouldn't rule out that we'll be able to support a larger number of variations in the future, it doesn't look like this is currently on our roadmap. 

If this is a feature you'd like to see on your point of sale, please head over to our feature request board to submit this suggestion to our team. It's really useful for us to know how you'd like to use this in your day-to-day in your business, and this also allows other sellers looking for the same feature to add their voices, and votes, to why this is needed.

Additionally, you can apply to be a beta tester via these steps. Beta testers get invited to test out new features in the lead-up to their launch. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with questions, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Message 21 of 21