x

Opening Canadian account without SIN

I am trying to open an account in Canada. It says that my SIN is not required to do this but Square will not verify my identity and It won’t tell me why. I’ve tried to register a number of different times now. Is that because it wants my SIN even though it says it doesn’t need it? Does anybody have any knowledge about this. Thank you in advance for any help

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @CJ6

The best option would be to call our Support Team right away, so they can help you with your account verification. The link will help you get your Customer Code.

Thank you! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

That's clearly what it is. Same situation here and was told by support that there is no way around it: "provide SIN or we can't help you"
In Canada, the government doesn't want companies asking this, in fact it's prohibited in most cases.
But why bother, people provide too much info online without ever thinking twice about it 🙂

Message 3 of 4

Yes, I had the same problem when trying to get my account activated again after a year of not using it. I "do not" give my sin out to anyone unless it is government. And especially not on the phone!

Tannice G.
Message 4 of 4