x

Remove taxes on modifiers

Hello!

Is there a way to remove taxes on modifiers?

I understand that taxes are applied on each line item. But this is not very accurate for all businesses, we should be able to exempt taxes for specific modifiers.

For instance, I use modifiers for returnable-containers in my business. You pay 1$ or 2$ (depending of what you choose) your container but we refund you 1$ or 2$ if you bring back your container. But with Square it adds the taxes on modifiers as well which is problematic in this case because returnable containers are not taxable.

Is there a workaround for that? Or maybe this can be a feature request?

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hello @kbarralon,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community.

At the moment we do not have the ability to disable taxes at a modifier level. We definitely see how it could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Alumni

Best Answer

Hello @kbarralon,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community.

At the moment we do not have the ability to disable taxes at a modifier level. We definitely see how it could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 27

+1 here, we need that option.

We always charge the bottle fee (no taxes on this fee) on every cider bottle sold. I would need to have a 1,50$ added with every bottle purchases with no taxes.

I don‘t see how to do that at the moment.

The modifier with no taxes would allow us to do that... although if it is directly added in the purchase basket (with no taxes) that would work for us as well.

Message 3 of 27

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Removing tax on Modifiers

I've recently started setting up a Square website and terminal for our brewery retail, and all our beer sales need a 0.10c deposit with them. I've set up the beer items to have tax on them, however when I set up a modifier for can deposits, the modifier also has tax on it which is not what I want.

I've tried having the deposit as it's own item which works for our in-store sales, however when we get online orders many people aren't selecting the can deposit as well.

If there is a way to have tax options on modifiers this would be the perfect solution, but as far as I can see, no such option exists.

Message 4 of 27
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Steve-o_C

Thank you for reaching out!

Just to make sure I am understanding correctly - you want to add a tax to the modifier on your beer items? 

Taxes are applied to the entire item. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Message 5 of 27

It would be awesome to remove the taxes on the modifier.   So the Main Item is taxable, but the Modifier is Not taxable.

That's what we need.

Message 6 of 27

I too Have this issue and have requested an enhancement.   I have an item that has tax that is often purchased with a non taxable item, without the non taxable item being a modifier-it is often a missed item because it needs to be purchased separately.  

This is a huge customer issue.

I Agree, it would be awesome to have this !

Message 7 of 27

I would also like to be able to charge a deposit on every can we sell. We need a way to charge the taxes on the beer and the 20c deposit as an extra. Has anyone figured this out without making the customer add the deposit to the online cart?

Message 8 of 27
Beta Member

Echoing what everyone else in this thread is saying.

We are another company that needs to add a non-taxable bottle deposit to each bottle of cider we sell. Leaving this up to the customer to add in the online store is not a workable solution.

The ability to automatically add a non-taxable modifier (in this case a bottle deposit) to an otherwise taxable item, is a key missing feature for anyone in our situation (selling products in a returnable package like a can or bottle online). Please prioritize this as a feature to update!

Thanks,

Message 9 of 27

Has anyone come up with another alternative?

Message 10 of 27

Echoing what everyone else in this thread is saying!

We are another company that needs to add a non-taxable bottle deposit to each bottle of wine we sell. We agree that leaving this up to the customer to add in the online store is not a workable solution.

If the modifier cannot be setup to be non-taxable, then there needs to be a way to automatically add a separate item (that is not taxed) to the on-line order when another item is added and prevent the user from removing from their order.

Otherwise, Square does not work well for anyone selling taxable products on-line that must collect a non-taxable bottle refund.

Message 11 of 27

Agreed, this is pivotal for a liquor store.
Each item will require a deposit (cans and bottles).

Each item might be a single can, 4 cans, 6, 8, 12, 15, 24

Bottles might be 1, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24

As well we have an enviro fee applied to certain items.

None of these are taxable items!

Message 12 of 27
Beta Member

It is now 2023, when will this option be available 

Message 13 of 27

Hi @lacasabianca - Thanks for following up on this thread.

I am currently reaching out to our Product Team for more insight on this. I'll be sure to come back here with an update once I receive more information. I appreciate your patience in the meantime 🙂

Violet
Message 14 of 27

Any update to this? We really need the ability to have non-taxed item modifiers. 

Message 15 of 27

Hi there, @asflores - Thanks for checking in. I am currently waiting to hear back from our Product Team for more details on this feature request.

I will be sure to return here with an update once I get a reply from them. Thanks again for your patience!

Violet
Message 16 of 27
Beta Member

Any updates

Message 17 of 27

Hello again, @lacasabianca and @asflores 👋 I appreciate your patience here while I waited to hear back from our Product Team.

They've let me know that this is something we are considering building in near future. However, at this time, we do not have a specific timeframe for this. If we land upon an ETA, we will be sure to share any updates with you here in the Seller Community. 

We appreciate your input! 🙂

Violet
Message 18 of 27

Hi Violet,

Thank you for letting us know where this is at.  

May I please ask for some help that I think you can provide right now?

a)  Can you please make some sort of clear post about this issue in a central location for all Square users?  It's taken me hours of slogging to find your post.  And there's all sorts of threads with bad/confusing information that can easily cause problems.  Since this issue affects every single Square customer selling items that need a non-taxed deposit, I think a great big, easy-to-find post is justified.   (Just an FYI:  every retailer in Canada has to charge deposits on every beverage they sell.)

b)  Please, let the product developers know that the deposit issue has a second prong that they have to solve at the same time.  So, problem #1 (which you already know about) is that deposits aren't taxed the same as the product they apply to; so we need to be able to set taxes for modifiers separately from the main item.  Problem #2 (which isn't mentioned above) is that we have to refund the deposit to ANY person who brings back a bottle.  That could be a bottle we sold 5 years ago -- the law says we must take it back and give the customer the $0.10 back (or whatever the deposit is currently set at).  So, imagine that scenario:  there is NO WAY to find the original transaction -- it could be years ago, it was on God-knows what credit card, etc.   So, Square needs to include a way to record that I'm giving $0.10 CASH to a customer as a returned deposit.  I'm no programmer, but it occurs to me that an item with a negative value might do the trick.  Then when I'm trying to balance my books, I can see that in May, I "sold" 100 deposits at $0.10 and I "sold" 90 "deposit returns" at -$0.10.  My books balance and Square balances.  Right now, I'm "selling" deposits, but doing the refunds out of a box under the counter; there's no way to balance Square and it's just going to get more and more out of balance as the months go on.

Thank you for your time and, hopefully, your help.

Message 19 of 27
Beta Member

Hi, it’s 4 years now since this request, when are we going to get this?

can everyone who is subscribed and following this thread please continue requesting, until this gets fixed. Squeaky wheel get the oil 

Message 20 of 27

This is really a feature we need...

Message 21 of 27