x

Remove taxes on modifiers

Hello!

Is there a way to remove taxes on modifiers?

I understand that taxes are applied on each line item. But this is not very accurate for all businesses, we should be able to exempt taxes for specific modifiers.

For instance, I use modifiers for returnable-containers in my business. You pay 1$ or 2$ (depending of what you choose) your container but we refund you 1$ or 2$ if you bring back your container. But with Square it adds the taxes on modifiers as well which is problematic in this case because returnable containers are not taxable.

Is there a workaround for that? Or maybe this can be a feature request?

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hello @kbarralon,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community.

At the moment we do not have the ability to disable taxes at a modifier level. We definitely see how it could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seciรณn y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Has there been an update on this question? 

Message 22 of 27

Is there a way to ask this echhancement to the Square team? There are quite a few people that need this now...

Message 23 of 27

I agree with the above requests with needing a modifier to be able to be not taxed. Our situation is also on a deposit but for a pie pan.

The other alternative would be to have an Item be a nested requirement to be selected with a parent item. Our customers order/purchase whole cheesecakes and pies. They may have it in a disposable pan or a glass or metal pan. The glass or metal pans need a deposit on them. So, when a customer orders the cheesecake, If the cheesecake item cannot have a modifier added that can be not taxed, then having a item for the pan deposit be a required item when the cheesecake is picked and have that item be not taxed would also work.

I hope that helps give a programmable option to these situations and get this resolved for us.

Thanks

Message 24 of 27

Very much needed.  I'm trying to add 'Sponsorship' to let people help pay for events I'm entering (I'm a social enterprise). 

Message 25 of 27
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @ATBBB I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 27

Replying here as well because in the bakery/dessert industry, you only start to tax items when the number of items reach a specific number so for example, if we sell a piece of cupcake on our store, we are not allowed to tax that single item however when we get to 6 packs of that product, we can now begin to tax. 

When is this feature going to be added because we are looking to switch to another platform already because of this

Message 27 of 27