x

Sales tax calculation when using the reader

Hi all.  New to this.  I am being told by Square Support that Square does not auto-calc the sales tax in the location I am selling when using the reader.  Does this mean I have to change the tax rate (multi jurisdictions make this complicated) for every item, every time I sell from a new location?  Seems like a ton of work if I am selling from lots of different places.  What am I missing?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Alumni

Hey @elysiangoddess 

Kudos to your first post! Yeah, it looks our Support Team is right. You'll need to edit the tax rate for each jurisdiction. Some Seller create multiple tax rates, then select the appropriate tax from the edit sale screen in checkout. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

@elysiangoddess wrote:

Hi all.  New to this.  I am being told by Square Support that Square does not auto-calc james smith free calculator the sales tax in the location I am selling when using the reader.  Does this mean I have to change the tax rate (multi jurisdictions make this complicated) for every item, every time I sell from a new location?  Seems like a ton of work if I am selling from lots of different places.  What am I missing?  Thank you.

For many businesses, collecting sales tax is a mandatory part of selling goods and providing services. After collecting sales tax from customers, you are responsible for remitting the tax to your state or local government. But before you start collecting, you need to know how to calculate sales tax.

Figuring sales tax rates can be complicated due to tricky sales tax laws. Once you determine the rate at which you need to collect, calculating sales tax is relatively simple.

Below, learn what sales tax is, which states have the tax, and how to find sales tax rate.Some states exempt certain items from sales tax. For example, some states do not enforce sales tax on food products. And, most states do not charge sales tax on prescription medicines. Check with your state to learn about sales tax exemptions.f you sell products to customers who turn around and sell the same product to customers, you might not need to collect sales tax. Instead, your customer, who becomes the seller, must collect sales tax. The customers must have resale certificates to be exempt from paying sales taxes.

Message 3 of 3