x

Feature Request: Set a minimum order quantity for weighted items on my website

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Selling by weight-minimum quantity

I run a tea store where we sell tea by the gram. I have the store POS set up perfectly so each tea has a SKU and the unit type is set to gram. The weight is keyed in manually (ie 50g) and inventory is tracked and all is good.

I am now setting up my online store and I want to keep managing my inventory across both platforms. The best setup I can find is to continue selling by the gram online however we have a starting quantity of 50g on all individual tea orders and the way it is set up now my customer would see the option to order 1 gram with a + sign to increase by increments of 1 or else they would have to highlight the number and type in 50. 
I would love to be able to set a minimum order quantity (50g or 50 units) but from my research it seems this is not currently an option. 
My question is a) does this seem like a request that might be fulfilled soon.

b) can anyone suggest a good alternate way to control this? From my experimentation I canโ€™t create a 50g and 100g item that would still reduce my inventory as it is sold.

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

I absolutely understand why this is an especially important feature for a loose leaf tea shop. When I was working at the tea shop, we enforced an in-store and online minimum purchase amount of 2 ounces (about 55 grams) per tea. As we work to make more features available to our sellers through the online store, I'll be personally advocating for this one!

One seller shared their process for managing their own inventory manually here in the Community - while their business is with beer, they have a similar need to track weighted inventory. If you end up deciding to track your online store inventory manually, their input may be helpful!

On the flip side, I did a bit of research into some of our eCommerce partners and it looks like at least two of them offer this feature. BigCommerce offers a paid app that allows users to set up minimum and maximum values for an online order. You can learn more about how BigCommerce syncs with your Square inventory in their Help Center article. WooCommerce has a similar paid feature, and you can read about how they sync inventory with Square right here.

I hope that this at least gets you pointed in the right direction, and I'll be sure to let you know if I hear of any updates in regards to this feature in our online store, @Teaguy!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Alumni

Hi there @Teaguy ๐Ÿ‘‹

I used to work at a tea shop, and definitely miss drinking delicious loose leaf tea all day! I want to dig in here with you, but first I want to make sure we're on the same page. When you mention that you are setting up your online store, which eCommerce platform are you using?

If you're using the free online store offered through your Square account, I can confirm that the ability to set a minimum order quantity is not available, and is being tracked as a feature request here.

Valentina
Message 2 of 9

Thanks @Valentina yes I was hoping to use the free Weebly store so you have confirmed that this feature is not available. Thanks for the link to the feature request, I will definitely add my support to this request.

In my case that one simple feature would make everything work perfectly but I guess I may have to look at other eCommerce options instead. I do realize that when I say โ€œsimple featureโ€ it is in fact a lot more complicated as each user has a different idea of how it would work for them, some may want a minimum weight while some may want a minimum dollar amount etc. 

Are you aware of any workarounds or do you have any suggestions for other online store platforms that integrate with Square and track inventory? Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
Alumni

Best Answer

I absolutely understand why this is an especially important feature for a loose leaf tea shop. When I was working at the tea shop, we enforced an in-store and online minimum purchase amount of 2 ounces (about 55 grams) per tea. As we work to make more features available to our sellers through the online store, I'll be personally advocating for this one!

One seller shared their process for managing their own inventory manually here in the Community - while their business is with beer, they have a similar need to track weighted inventory. If you end up deciding to track your online store inventory manually, their input may be helpful!

On the flip side, I did a bit of research into some of our eCommerce partners and it looks like at least two of them offer this feature. BigCommerce offers a paid app that allows users to set up minimum and maximum values for an online order. You can learn more about how BigCommerce syncs with your Square inventory in their Help Center article. WooCommerce has a similar paid feature, and you can read about how they sync inventory with Square right here.

I hope that this at least gets you pointed in the right direction, and I'll be sure to let you know if I hear of any updates in regards to this feature in our online store, @Teaguy!

Valentina
Message 4 of 9

Thank you so much @Valentina for taking the time to research this and respond. I have taken a quick look at these suggestions but I will spend some more time really studying them and see if any of them would work for me. I do love so much about the Square/Weebly integration that I might be able to work around the lack of minimum quantity and just cross my fingers that it might show up somewhere down the road. Thanks again for your time responding.

Message 5 of 9
Alumni

Absolutely, @Teaguy ๐Ÿ˜Š I'm glad I've given you a starting point, and really happy to hear you're loving so much about this integration - I'm pretty excited about it myself! My only alternative suggestion here would be to separate your in-store inventory from your online inventory. This may not work for your business, as you will likely be pulling from the same physical inventory for both, but I wanted to be sure to throw it out here in case it hasn't crossed your mind.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for updates on this front, and I'll be sure to update you here if I have any news to share. In the meantime, if you find any workarounds for the minimum quantity/inventory sync dilemma - definitely share here - I'm sure others will find it helpful.

Valentina
Message 6 of 9

I would think like many other sites that we should be able to set order minimums. It's not worth delivering the item if the person can choose something as little as $2 to purchase.

Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @ristreats,

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller was asking about setting minimum/maximum purchase amounts with the online store.

It looks like right now it's a feature request but @Valentina did list some other websites that provide this option. 

Ashley C
Message 8 of 9

Thank you. Hopefully it's something that they add.

Message 9 of 9