x

Split Stock Count across multiple item variations

Our cafe sells five different bagel varieties and we let our customers pre-order bagels for next day pickup.

We need to limit the total number of bagels pre-ordered, but we don't care which variety the customer orders.  From what I have been able to figure out, if we create five bagel varieties and turn on stock tracking, we have to split the number of bagels available for pre-order across the five varieties.  So, for example, if our pre-order limit is 100 bagels per day, we have to assign 20 bagels to each of the five types.  The problem is when customers order more of one type of bagel then another.

For example, if we get a total of 20 orders for our Everything Bagel, then the Everything bagel is going to show as out of stock even though we have only filled 20 of the total available order spaces.  We might end up not getting any orders that day for cinnamon bagels, but if we assigned 20 spaces to the cinnamon bagel variation, we might miss out on bagel sales if customers want more Everything bagels then we allocated.

Do we need to specify stock by variation, or is there a way to assign a single total to the item and let the variations simply deduct from that total as they are ordered?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hi @flightcoffeeco! Welcome to the Seller Community 🤓

In order to limit a certain amount of quantity to be pre-ordered for pickup, click the Advanced settings button within Pickup & Delivery. The options here are global and will apply to any location that has pickup enabled.

This setting exists to prevent customers from submitting large orders that may be difficult to fulfill, so if you're concerned about the number of bagels being ordered, please click the toggle to enable quantity limits. Enter the maximum number of items you want to allow per order, and optionally include additional information about your policies on large orders. Customers who attempt to place an order exceeding the amount you set here will see this information in the shopping cart. Is that what you're looking for when it comes to your morning pick ups and bagels? Or are you looking for something more specific to each kind of bagel? 

If you create variations, for example, creating an item titled Bagel, then have the variations be everything, plain, pumpernickel, onion, sesame, every time one of those bagels is sold the stock count will reduce for Bagels by one, and then more specifically it will also show in details that the variation stock itself has reduced by one. Is that what you're looking for?

Let me know as I want to make sure we get this figured out ️ 🥯

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 5

I would like the same option. I want to limit the overall amount according to what I can make in a reasonable amount of time without limiting people's choice of variation.

If all your customers want the Everything Bagel then they should be able to order 100 of those amongst them and all you make that day is that flavour. It means you can fill your capacity without limiting your customers choices within that capacity.

Did you ever find a work around?

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Mikaela_VK, thanks for reaching out! The quantity limit option for pickup and delivery orders applies to the total number of items in an order regardless of the variation. For example, if you wish to allow your customer to book 100 Everything Bagel you will need to set your variation stock to 100. 

To set a quantity limit for pickup and delivery orders, please login to your Online Dashboard > Fulfilment > Pickup & Delivery > Advanced Settings > Large order settings.

I hope it answers your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Emma
Community Manager, Square
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Emma_, thanks  for your response but my issue is not about pick up amount but about the total amount I can produce in a reasonable time. This amount could be one customer or many different customers.
The quantity limit applies to a single order whereas I need it to apply to my total capacity for that item just like in the original post above. If I put a quantity limit like you mention then 6 customers can each order 100 items in a day which is way more than the day’s capacity. If you set a stock amount for each variation (eg. spread the 100 across each flavour - 20 each) then I may end up not fulfilling my capacity because everyone wanted one particular flavour that day but there was only 20 available and it sold out.
I would like a limit for the listing (in this example 100 bagels for preorder for the next day) which could be made up of any flavour and one or many customers. 

I have a post with more details on my particular situation here and responded to this post in the hope they had come up with a possible work around. I spoke with support yesterday (who were super helpful) and this feature is not currently available. 
Thanks again for helping though, I really do appreciate it. 
Cheers,

Mikaela

Message 5 of 5