x

Square reader broken?

Hi all,

I haven't used my square reader in a long time and I'm trying to set it up in preparation to an event, but I'm having an issue...

My touchless reader is giving a "damaged reader" error even though it was stored in its box and was not dropped or jostled in any way since. It was literally in it's box, in box, in a box. For a moment it was showing updating then failed and started giving the damage error and now refuses to do anything if I try to connect it. Is there some way to fix this?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CommanderBoxers, welcome to the community! Thanks for flagging this, so sorry to hear about your Reader being damaged!

We've no way to check your account here in the Community, but it sounds like your Square Reader is no longer functioning correctly due to a failsafe we’ve put in place. To ensure you and your customers are protected, we have built physical security measures directly into your Square Reader. Unfortunately, these security measures can sometimes be triggered by accident, like rough handling or dropping Square Reader, resulting in the device becoming deactivated.

Once a Square Reader has been deactivated, you’ll see a “Reader Damaged” notification in the app, and the only way to get back up and running is to have the device replaced under warranty. To submit a warranty claim, I'd advise getting in touch with our customer support team on 855-809-9000. We’re available from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., EST.

Let me know if you need anything else, happy help!

Message 2 of 2