x
Beta Member

Stuck on checking for reader updates

Since this past Saturday, my tablets say stuck on "Checking for Reader Updates" when using square appointments... Square itself seems ok when I use that...

Also... I can't use the two at the same time?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @dleger00

Have you tried updating the app and/or iPad software to help with this glitch? 

You cannot use 2 readers on the same device, but you can have multiple devices signed into your Square account. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

Yes, I have tried updating... Uninstalling and re-installing etc.

I only have 1 reader.. but square  &  square for appointments are competing to get control of it...

If I remove it from 1, it removes it from the other. I can't run them at the same time... That's not a huge issue in and of itself. I can live with that... I would just choose Square for appointments since it has all the functions we need but square for appointments causes the problems of just hanging there waiting for updates.

Moreover, it only happens on a couple of the tablets (couple of the locations)... All tablets are the same with the same software, and the same version. Acer iconia A3-B40 

Message 3 of 7

Welcome back to the Community, @dleger00

It sounds like your tablet might not be compatible with the reader you're trying to use. I would recommend looking at our Device Compatibility site to see. 

You cannot have the same reader used only multiple devices at the same time, it's not capable. 

Also, you mentioned you've used Square Point of Sale and Square Appointments - could you give me a little more detail on that? Are you logged into the same account on both of those apps? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Yes. they are both logged into the same account and location.

The reader works fine most of the time.. but on occasion, it hangs looking for an update..

I don't believe it's a cmpatibility issue, as 3 of my 5 SAME tablets work fine.

Message 5 of 7

@dleger00

Ah okay. How old are the readers? 

Do you keep the devices and apps up to date too? 

Kassi
Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

The readers are a couple of years old, and up to date. I think we're veering away from the key point here.

Square for retail (or POS) - The original ... Works fine for the most part... Sometimes it's slow, but it's basically OK. I've never had an issue before square for appointments came along.

If I use square for appointments... it seems like it wants to supercede square for retail... It takes over the reader if square for retail is running... So I imagine you should only run 1 at a time... It appears as it square for appointments is older than square for retail.. it still has the old interface. 

The problem is, square for appointments is unstable. I Cannot rely on it as it frequently fails to connect the reader and gets hung on checking for updates (Even after square for retail just updated it)... It could be fine for a while, but then suddenly, it just stops working. I've lost sales because of it.

For that reason, I cannot use square for appointments. I still get the appointments, but I can't use the tablet app to close out the transaction. It's a shame really, because I'm trying to drive more appointments an eventually would need the upgraded version for staff etc.

Message 7 of 7