x

How can we generate a report of tips by employee (set-up as an item)?

Hair Salon using an outside service for payroll.  Employees have been set-up as "items" .  When a customer pays through square the stylist item is used and any tip the customer wishes to add is entered in square and the receiptionist gives the cash to the customer to give the stylist.  The stylist's are responsible for reporting their own tips.  I think we need to be backing the tips out of sales and recording them as an expense since the 1099-K will include the tip in total sales although the salon does not receive the funds.  How can we generate a report of tips by employee (set-up as an item)?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

@rev1 Hi again! I see you asked a similar question in another thread, so I've actually just moved my answer here.

There are two ways to view tips from the Transactions tab of your Square Dashboard:

1. Click Export in the upper right and download a CSV file to your computer. This report has a full breakdown of each transaction, including a column for Tips. Note: You can the date selector on the top right of the screen to view a specific date range.
  2. From the list of transactions when you click on any transaction the screen will 'split' in two. You'll see the details of the payment including the tip, on the right hand side of the screen. 

Just so you know tips are not included in the Item Sales report. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 10
Beta Member

@Helen

Hi Helen! Can't a Tip Report function be added for when someone clocks out? The total of their tips would be captured here and added to their timecard? This way it can always be referenced later on if needed? Stylists are spending a lot of time after shifts when they are tired, adding up sales slips to give to cashier to get their payout. Would make life so much easier!

In addition, the ability to - at the tip part of the cashout process - split the screen into two tip types - bartender - stylist and then people could choose to tip what they want to whom they want and then those tips would be added to the overall sale and each employee would see the tip result at clock out's tip report.

This would mean that a ticket would need to have the functionality of assigning it to two different people... all of course set in the background in the dashboard settings.

James Wilkinson
Message 3 of 10
Beta Member

@Helen

Any thoughts on if tips can be shown at Clock-out and captured with their timecards?

James Wilkinson
Message 4 of 10
Admin

Hey @JPWilkinson! I agree this would be a very useful feature but I don't have a timeline to share about when employees will be able to add tips when clocking out. If you have a workaround and you'd like to share it here I'm sure other sellers would appreciate it! 

I also really like your suggestion of letting customers add a specific tip to a specific person. I'll send that reqquest to the Appointments team. Thank you! 🙂

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 10
Beta Member

@Helen

Since Appointments is not available in Canada - I would prefer that this be something that be integrated into the POS itself.

James Wilkinson
Message 6 of 10
Admin

Certainly! I'll pass the feedback to the Point of Sale team as well. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 10

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Tips" The author has been notified via email.

How so I print report of my tips per month, transaction in a month

Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

I would like to set up tips to be even dollar amounts on all transactions including those transactions above $10.00 I do not like the percentage tips and would rather have the option to change this feature to suit my company's needs.

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @LDTKY At this time this isn't possible with Square Point of Sale as the current choices for Tipping are Smart Tip Amounts (Payments under $10 will show whole amounts and above $10 will display percentage) or Set Percentage Amounts. I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

Also, Welcome to the Seller Community! 👋

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 10