x
Beta Member

US Cash conversion for sale in Canada at a bar

We operate a bar in a border city between Canada and the US - and we routinely have American customers coming to the bar and wanting to pay with US cash... Is it possible to enter in the US cash amount and the system convert, based on a pre-set US exchange rate entered into the dashboard preferences - it's equivalent in canadian to complete the sale - but the end drawer showing the US dollars requried?

James Wilkinson
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Beta Member

Any thoughts from Square?

James Wilkinson
Message 2 of 6
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: US Cash conversion for sale in Canada at a bar

@JPWilkinson It's not possible to record US cash tranasctions this way with the Point of Sale app as the app will only record payments in CAD, if that's where you activated your account. I'll share your request with the Point of Sale team, I definitely see how it would help as you have both US and Canadian customers! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 6
Beta Member

Perfect! Thank you! In Canada we have a LOT of US visitors and being able to accept US cash but via a conversion is pretty essential. Right now I have a discount modifier set-up but this is not really ideal...

James Wilkinson
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

@Helen Any update on this? It is essential that we have the ability to accept US CASH for transactions. There should be an option for setting the US Currency CASH rate in the dashboard - so that it cannot be touched via the iPad - that would show at the checkout where the customer chooses cash - and then they have the option of CDN or US cash - and then even in splitting the transaction.

For instance, the total is $55.61 CDN - the customer wants to pay $20 US and the balance in $ CDN - which routinely happens as since we are in a border city, people travel back and forth to the US multiple times during the week. They should be able to pick US $ enter how much they want to pay, say $20 - then the balance would update to what is still due in CDN. This is a typical POS option in almost every retail establishment in Canada as we do accept the US Dollar here. Not the reverse in the US, however, but this is done in Canada to encourage Americans to cross the border and not have to worry about converting money... So another unique Canadian requirement. Note, we do not accept Euros, Japanese Yen, or Chinese Yuan - though I would imagine that Euros would go over well in Ontario and especially in Quebec and the Yen and Yuan would go well in Vancouver, as well as the Yen, and Yuan doing well in Toronto.

Essentially, an exchange calculation system within Square is essential for us in Canada.

James Wilkinson
Message 5 of 6
Admin

No updates yet @JPWilkinson but I've reached out to see if there's any possibility of this being added in future! I'll keep you posted. I definitely see how this would be useful for residents along the Canadian and US border and I really appreciate the detailed example you've shared. I know you're a part of the Beta Community already but for anyone else reading this if we do trial a new feature like this in future there could be a Beta program! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 6