x

Feature Request: Charge customers in different currencies using Square Point of Sale

The title of this post has been edited from the original: USD transactions in Canada

Is it possible to open USD account in Canada such that I can conduct all transactions in USD either in Canada or the US by phone AND have the proceeds deposited into a USD account at a Canadian bank?

Message 1 of 45
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Accepting US Credit Card payment int Canadian Bank Account (at daily rate)

The ability to charge your customers in different currencies using Square Point of Sale is not available at this time, @Reefertilizer.

We're constantly working to bring payment processing to more countries, and will definitely announce any changes related to currency acceptance here in this thread.

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Unfortunately not, @Zephyr. You can only process transactions in the currency of the country where your account was activated; so an account created in Canada will process all sales in CAD. 

It is up to the cardholders bank to determine the conversion rate and any applicable fees. Hope that info helps. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

I have the same issue. I might have to use another app if this can't be done with Square.

Message 22 of 45

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: using square in the U.S. when acct setup originally in Canada

1. Using Square with Opencart 3.0 account is setup in Canada, but our shipping location is in NY and we want transactions handled for shipments made from the U.S. to show in USD.  HOW?

2. Is there a setting to be able to do the above? Or do we need to have a US bank account?  We already have a U.S. address.

Thank you

Message 23 of 45
Alumni

Hi and welcome to the Community, @bbahi 👋 It's currently not possible to accept multiple currencies with Square. I've gone ahead and moved your post to a thread where this question has been asked before in the Community.

If you'd like for shipments made from the US to appear in USD, you would want to create a separate US-based Square account for those shipments.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 45

Hi Valentina - We are based in Canada. Can we accept US Credit Cards through Square into our Canadian Bank Account (with the day's exchange rate applied)?

Message 25 of 45

Message 26 of 45
Alumni

Hi @Reefertilizer - you should be able to accept most non-Canadian issued credit cards, so long as they're bearing a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB or Discover logo. You can learn more about what kinds of cards can be accepted by taking a look at this article.

Let us know if any questions come up!

Valentina
Message 27 of 45

Thank you @Valentina ... We had a US customer just try and process an order and received this message from WooCommerce:

"Square Payment Failed (Status code INVALID_VALUE: This business can only process payments in CAD but amount was provided in USD.) Order status changed from Pending payment to Failed."

What are we doing wrong?

Message 28 of 45
Alumni

Based on the error message you've shared with us, it sounds like this is due to the fact that it's currently not possible to accept multiple currencies with Square. However, WooCommerce does offer an extension that allows customers to switch the currency they're choosing to pay with.

Because payments processed with Square must be processed in your country’s official currency - CAD in your case - it doesn't look like you'll be able to use that extension if you'd like to use Square as your payment processor, @Reefertilizer.

You'll want to reach out directly to WooCommerce for clarity, as they manage this integration.

Valentina
Message 29 of 45

Thanks @Valentina.

Is this an issue that Square is currently dealing with? 

As you can see throughout this thread - this is a very common issue that many Square online retail users are having. Or is Square more focused on their POS customers?

Signed,

Ex-Stripe user that is confused as to why Square doesn't offer similar services yet somehow still considers itself as a main rival to Stripe

Message 30 of 45

They are nothing like Stripe. I moved quickly from Square to Stripe when I realized I cannot do anything with Square

Message 31 of 45
Alumni

The ability to charge your customers in different currencies using Square Point of Sale is not available at this time, @Reefertilizer.

We're constantly working to bring payment processing to more countries, and will definitely announce any changes related to currency acceptance here in this thread.

Valentina
Message 32 of 45

This issue has not been resolved for so many years. I'm still waiting to use Square online and globally with multi-curency and to switch from PayPal. It's s shame that this important feature is not available even though any other credit card service is providing it.

I would not recommend Square to anyone due to the absence of this IMPORTANT and ESSENTIAL business feature, specially that the currency rate changes constantly and I have recurring invoices that needs to be charged in foreign currencies.

Message 33 of 45

If I send a US customer an Invoice for U$100.00  and he pays me with a US credit card, will that payment come into my account at CAN$ 135.00 or whatever the current rate is?

Message 34 of 45
Square Community Moderator

Hi @bbahi,

I moved your post back to the original thread where you originally asked about this.

If we ever have an update- we'll be sure to update the thread!

Ashley C
Message 35 of 45

If a US customer pays me $100.00 using a credit card, will Square deposit the equivalent in Canadian funds into my Bank Account?

Message 36 of 45
Square Community Moderator

Hey @LarryB118 thanks for asking. I would reference Helen's post below stating that any payment processed on your account will be charged in the currency of that account. The customer's bank is responsible for any conversions, so you will not see any conversions on your end at all. 

If a US customer pays $5 to your Canadian account, you will see $5 CA dollars in your Square Balance and the customer will see the conversion charged on their bank account since the bank handles the currency exchange. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 37 of 45

Actually we are loosing sales due to the fact that Square doesn't allow us to accept foreign currency. Here's an example:

I sold an item for US$100 to a customer in USA:

A) I have to send him an invoice for CAN$145 (I have to do the conversion)

B) If he sees the $145, he will be confused and upset thinking that he might have paid more, he will not realize he was paying in CAN$

C) when he sees his CC statement with a conversion rate, he will be more confused

So we will have upset customers, have to do more conversions ourselves and get calls where we have to explain the unexplained. An accounting nightmare.

Any other service, like PayPal, will allow you to use multiple currencies, link to different bank accounts. But Square doesn't for some reason.

Better to use another service and pay 1% more than use this unusable service and loose sales and customers.

Until they fix this issue, we have to stay away from Square.

Message 38 of 45

I feel like I will need to find another service... 

Message 39 of 45

Sort of on the same subject, but I can't find one that is. I don't know what MOTO is either!

I use Virtual Terminal to enter payments by credit cards for invoices that I have sent out manually or by email. So if I receive a payment from the U.S. will the net amount go into our Canadian account in U.S. $ and be converted to Canadian $ by the bank? We may get some business in the U.S. so I would like to know.

Thanks.

Message 40 of 45
Admin

Hey @Deanna4

When you accept a payment with Square all the funds will be processed in CAD. The cardholder's bank will apply any conversion fees before you receive the funds in your Square balance. This thread has some more information! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 41 of 45

I sent an invoice for $250 to a customer in the USA and he paid in USD. Do I about $305 back?

Message 42 of 45