x

Uploading COAs for hemp flower

Hello. I am a member of Square's CBD program and upon reading the specifications, it looks like we can sell hemp flower as long as the COAs are provided. What does that mean? Provided on our site or uploaded to Square? I do not see an option to upload them to Square and was just curious how we can start selling CBD flower in compliance with Square. Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey @vigorllc! Welcome to the Community.

I won't be able to answer this here from the Community- but you can apply to sell CBD with us from this page

They should be able to help further and answer your questions once they receive your application!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 13

I am already a member of that group so this does me no help. I wish there was a phone number we could call. We feel like we are being left out in the dark by Square with no available help in regards to your CBD program.

Message 3 of 13

@vigorllc

A Certificate of Analysis, or COA, is a document from an accredited laboratory that shows the quantity of various cannabinoids in a product. Manufacturers should send every batch of every product they make to a lab for testing, to protect their customers and prove that their products have as much CBD as they advertise.

Since Square only allows hemp and hemp-derived CBD products that have less than 0.3% THC, you may be required to submit COAs to substantiate the products you intend to sell.

When you apply to participate in our Early Access program you may be requested to provide COAs from your online square Dashboard. If required, you'll see a notification when you sign in at the Dashboard.

Ashley C
Message 4 of 13

Ive had nothing but problems with the program. I have uploaded every coa for every product and square is constantly returning the message

"More information is needed, please provide coa"

They never specify to what item specifically they are looking for. 

I have some products that are essential oils only no cbd even listed. These products do not require coas, not sure if they are asking for those as there is nothing but computer communication and due to being new customer code. So annoying 

Message 5 of 13

Having exactly the same problem.  Square is no help at all. It’s a horrible company.

Message 6 of 13

More than a year later, and I am having the exact same problems as described above: upload COAs and keep getting an email that says "More information is needed" and threatening that I may be dropped if I don't correct it in 7 days.  The COA box in the application is outlined in red, and that's the only one, so the problem must be there, but I can't get a response as to what more info they need; the COAs are there!  I did actually reach a live human being, but they couldn't help me.  They said I was approved to use the card reader so I shouldn't worry about it.  I used the reader by making a purchase myself, and it did seem to work -- it produced an email receipt to me, and the money was taken out of the bank account linked to my credit card -- but the money has never been passed along to my linked business account.  If it is not going to work, I want to send the reader back because it wasn't cheap, and I have 30 days to return it, but I can't get effective responses from chat or phone.  I've called twice and gotten a recording that says the Square team has determined my product is likely to cause problems, so they can't serve me -- yet they'll take my money and keep it.

Message 7 of 13

I've been attempting to add additional COA's to my CBD account and to my knowledge there isn't a way to do that however, if i sell a product that doesn't have a COA loaded Square holds my money.  Square apparently doesn't have any type of support to assist.  Does anyone know of a better company to process CBD payments?  If so,  i would appreciate you sharing the information.  Thanks,  

Message 8 of 13

Hi @820 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I'm going to consult with the CBD Team on this one to get the best answer for you. I'll reach back out to you here once I gather more info!

Violet
Message 9 of 13

Hi there @820,

Just jumping in for @_Violet here while they're out of the office - thanks for your patience while we waited on an update from the CBD Team!

While they appreciate your proactive approach to submitting additional COAs, unless the CBD Team actively requests COAs as part of a review, you are not obligated to submit these on your own accord. It looks like you were only recently approved in September 2022, with this in mind, the CBD team don't require any further information from you at this stage.

However, if you want to proceed with sending additional COAs, you can do this by contacting our Support Team. This team will be able to forward this information to the CBD Team on your behalf, who will make a record of this on your Square Account.

It's worthwhile noting that all Square Sellers participating in the CBD Program are subject to ongoing monitoring. Feel free to review the CBD Program FAQs for more on this.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 10 of 13

Hi there again, @820 - As @Laurie_ mentioned, all Square Sellers participating in the CBD Program are subject to ongoing monitoring.

We recommend merchants familiarize themselves with Square’s Payment Terms to ensure they are not selling prohibited products or services and promptly and fully respond to any requests for information sent by Square.

Square currently allows sellers in the CBD Program to accept payments for hemp and hemp-derived CBD products that have less than, or equal to, 0.3% THC in most states within the United States. If you sell CBD products, including, for example, oil, flower, seeds, lotions, topicals, wax, etc., your business is required to be in the CBD Program. These products must be produced and sold in compliance with applicable law, including, but not limited to, the 2018 Farm Bill, and relevant state laws.

Violet
Message 11 of 13
Beta Member

Hey Laurie, 

I have been having a similar issue. Myself and the compliance team have been back and fourth with the form requesting COA's for all of our products. We have tons of products between 3 locations. I took a whole day and uploaded every single hemp-derived products that we have to offer. The form keeps getting kicked back to me with no explanation but "One or more of the Certificates of Analysis (COA) that you submitted is illegible or invalid. Please resubmit a clear copy of your COA.". I have went through the COA's multiple times, I've tried and tried to contact someone who can help resolve this issue. I've spoken with my account representative, square customer service, sent multiple emails. With no response or sense of direction. 

We do not know what to do at this point. They have threatened to freeze our card deposits.

Some help or direction would greatly be appreciated. 

Message 12 of 13

Thanks for responding. So what happens when I sell products that don't have COA's loaded for? Is Square going to hold those funds until they request COA's and they are approved, or will the funds be transferred to my bank in a timely manner? Please advise.  Thanks, 820

Message 13 of 13