x

Using a USB hub without AC power?

60% of my sales are done at festivals where I do not have access to a power outlet. I have a barcode reader that I use when I do have access which makes sales more streamlined and would like an option for when I don't. The Hub requires power but am curious if one that runs off a battery pack is viable. I have so many variations on product in my inventory it becomes a hassle for time to process some sales. Thank You for your help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @UniqueOutlooks thanks for reaching out, and I completely understand having a wireless barcode scanner would make things run a lot smoother. With Square, you are able to connect to a Bluetooth scanner, but that would only work with our Stand or iPads, on its own. You can learn more about barcode scanners here

What is your current Square hardware setup like? Will you have access to wifi/network at the festivals? 

Message 2 of 3

My current setup is the Square Terminal (ST) and a wired Barcode Reader (BCR), I access the network through hot spotting my phone when at festivals. I am also using Android and have no reason to upgrade my device to the Stand, my problem is that since the Hub for the BCR to work with the ST need to be plugged into an outlet to be powered and I do not have access to outlets at the festivals as most of them take place outdoors. I can plug the BCR directly into my phone to scan but I can't take card payments that way. So my main question is if there is a way to do it without requiring a power outlet to run the Hub.

Message 3 of 3