x

Variable Cost of Goods?

I just started the Retail Trial, and I'm trying to figure out if an item card can have a varied cost of goods.  

Part of my new store is thrift, and as an example, I don't want to track each vinyl record name I sell, I just want one listing for "Record" and change the price at the POS as I sell it. However, one day I may spend $50 on 300 records, and the next day I'll spend $50 on 20 records. Is it possible to do this sort of thing so I can see my income and expense for the week or month without making an item card for each and every record?

I have many categories like this, so I'd love to just enter a new batch as a purchase order, and I'm hoping the software can automatically average the total COG over time.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

I know this was a few years ago, but in case this helps anyone else:
We also run a used record store. To work around this for my year end COGS report, what I do is the following:

1) each record buy i do, i record both what i paid and the estimated resale value to give myself my profit/loss and gross margin %. 
2) each month, I calculate the average profit and gross margin
3) when i want to check my year end COGS, i export the COGS report to Google Sheets (or Excel/Numbers, etc) and for the item "USED RECORDS" manually input those numbers into the sheet.

It's an annoying workaround, but since most of the rest of my shop inventory is consistent pricing, this is the only category i usually have to manually calculate. 

Message 2 of 3
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for sharing this workaround, @commonbeatmusic

Message 3 of 3