x

When entering a new item how do i add the shipping cost to a new item

I have set up a few flat rate shipping profiles however when I add an item to the shop it is not giving me the option of which profile to add. Which is just showing it as free to ship in the persons cart on check out. What am I missing here?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Kmbusch2004

Welcome back to the Community!

Thank you for posting your question about flat rate shipping. I'd like to gather some more information on how you set up those rates, so I can find the best solution for you. 

When you create a shipping rate - it asks you to set it up per order or per item. Which did you select? Depending on which route, this could be the culprit for your issue. 

I will keep an eye out for your reply๐Ÿ‘€. If that doesn't do the trick, then I will circle back. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 12

I have the same issue. Some rates are set up as per item and some are per order. When the customer checks out the default shipping is set to the first one on the list. If the customer does not change this on the shipping profile page, they are potentially charged the wrong shipping rate. How can I take control of shipping rates for each item?

Message 3 of 12

Hi @Davalyn Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the Community ๐ŸŽ‰

It's not currently possible to set up a shipping rule per item, but I believe this is a feature that the teams have their eyes on for future consideration. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along. 

For the type of items you sell, it may be easier to include the cost of shipping into the item, or, you could add weights to your items and setup the shipping rules by weight

I don't believe your current setup is going to work out because you would have to rely on the customer manually selecting their shipping rule based on the item they are ordering. It could be easy for someone to overlook this, or just choose the cheapest rate by default. 

Message 4 of 12

Thank you for your response. I agree that some will probably choose the cheapest shipping. I believe that a similar issue would result by setting up weights. Perhaps at this point inclusion of shipping in the price is the best option. The flaw I see with this, however is with the purchase of multiple items that all have the shipping rate built into the price. A system that would allow for combined shipping discounts would work much better. Again, thank you for your input and understanding.

Davalyn

Message 5 of 12

You're welcome! I appreciate you leaving detailed feedback. We'll hopefully have some updates to our shipping feature in the near future. 

Message 6 of 12

Another feature that I am not sure about. I would like to have different shipping profiles for each site rather than shared across all sites. Is this possible?

Message 7 of 12
Admin

Hey @Davalyn! Do you have multiple sites because you have multiple Square locations? Are all your site with Square? 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 8 of 12

I would like to be able to add a shipping cost to each item as I list it. This would eliminate the need for the customer to select a shipping profile at checkout. How can I do this?

Message 9 of 12

Yes, this would be great if we can add a shipping cost to each item! Will this be possible in the very near future?

Message 10 of 12
Admin

Hey @gw123, thank you for letting us know! From chatting with the team, this is a feature they are actively working on. I still don't have a timeline to share for when this is available, but do keep an eye on our Product Updates (and I'll be sure to follow up on the thread when I have more information as well)!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 11 of 12

That's great thank you for the update!

Message 12 of 12