x

Why is my square not accepting debit cards from some banks? ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

I have read that square accepts Canadian debit cards. Some yes but I seem to be having a lot of trouble with cards from TD (Toronto Dominon) just to name a major bank. These are debit/Visa cards and are supposed to be accepted everywhere. If someone could enlighten me that would be helpful. I am getting charged more money when they use their credit card. Not to mention that my client is not happy. They donโ€™t have cash and some donโ€™t have another means of payment.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

TD and Simpli debit cards will not work on my square either.  Why is that???

Message 2 of 5

I have found lots of my TD clients don't have the tap on their card yet

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out here, and I'm really sorry for the frustration that this is causing for your customers. There are some constraints with being able to accept debit payments in Canada right now: they must be tap (as @HairHeaven mentioned) and cannot exceed $100 at this time.

For more details, have a look here: Accepted Cards, or please don't hesitate to let our Customer Success team know if you'd like them to take a closer look into a specific payment attempt.

Appreciate your patience as we continue to work on offering more payment solutions for all of our sellers.

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 5

Well that is unfortunate as most of my clients pay more then $100. Itโ€™s TD BMO and other debit cards, with tap options on their card. Wish this was explained when I spent $60 to purchase machine and have told others to go with square. Hope this is solved quickly. Just because we are in Canada doesnโ€™t mean we donโ€™t give value to your company. 

I fell like if that is the case there should be a deduction on fees as we are getting charged more for credit card transactions!!!! 

Message 5 of 5