x

how to apply provincial taxes

How can taxes for different provinces be set up and applied. I ship from a physical location in BC. When customers from outside BC make an online purchase, their purchase ends up being tax free. I need to be able to charge them tax. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Alumni

@nikkeimuse, thanks for the post and sorry for my delay in getting back to you! 

There's not currently a super straightforward way to set this up. As a workaround, you could raise the shipping price so that the tax amount becomes part of the shipping fee. You could also create price points for items sold in different provinces: Chocolate Bar Alberta $5, Chocolate Bar Ontario $5.55, Chocolate Bar Quebec $5.85, etc. 

I hope this helps, and thanks again for your post. 

Message 2 of 3

That work around is so backwards and lends itself to significant accounting confusion if we were to actually do that. Unfortunately for Square many of us are simply using manual invoices or other platforms that will calculate tax based on the supply of services rule from CRA.

So we're left with an odd workaround (that I will never employ) and Square isn't making 3 points on out of province sales. Nobody wins. 

If there is an update on this it would be great to hear back from Square. Thanks.

Message 3 of 3