x

Should I create a separate Square account?

We have a non-profit with several distinct companies and an annual fund raiser that is not directly attached to our organization. The annual fund raiser event is only actively taking in funds for part of the year and it uses a separate bank account. The event is composed of several foot races with entry fees. I have set up our main organization to accept online entry fees and transfer those to the bank account controlled by the fund raiser organization. Our organization eventually gets part of the entrie fee profits back for our participation and volunteer work with the race fund raising org.

I am wondering if I should set up the race fund raising organization as a separate company with it's own Square account or if it should be a branch or subdivision of our Square system?  Seems to me that the best choice would be to setup a completely separate company within the Square system with it's own Square account. If I did that could both companies or entities still deposit funds into the fund raiser bank account?  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Hey @Neil, it depends on how you want this information reported on your 1099-K. 

If you accept all of the payments for the annual fundraiser these funds will be reported as income for your organization. We can't make tax recommendations, but it's something to take into consideration. 

Message 2 of 2