x

transferring a custom domain from Wix

I started my business with a Wix website, and have recently purchased the plastic gift cards from Square. When I realized I could not accept the gift cards unless I was running our website through square, we agreed to switch our website over from Wix to Square. We built our new site, but now I can't transfer our custom domain. 

First, Wix does not allow any changes to the dns record, so I can't easily 'point" our records that way, in fact, Wix actiually writes that changing domain names isn't possible with wix at all unless we transfer the name entirely. So I tried to complete the transfer, but although there is a clickbox for this option, it will not allow me to click it. Is there another way to transfer my domain to Square from Wix?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey @flowerfarmer I'm sorry to hear about this frustrating experience! Are you trying to transfer your domain on Square's side? What do you mean it won't allow you to click in the click box?

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 13

I am trying desperately to transfer my domain name from Wix to Square. I have followed the instructions. I have gone to "set up your domain" and clicked "Use a domain I own elsewhere". Then, I put I typed my domain in the text box and hit verify. I get a screen that says that the domian has been verified and two options are presented. The first, "Connect www.thegardeninharrington.com Connect your domain to your Square site and continue to manage it through your domain provider. It can take up to 24 hours for this change to take effect." is the only option that will allow toggling. The second option, :Transfer www.thegardeninharrington.com Transfer your domain to Square to manage your domain and site through Square. It can take up to a week for this change to take effect." doesn't allow me to click on it at all.

If I follow through and toggle the first option to connect my domain and hit continue, I am given the instructions to make changes to my host site's DNS servers. I have followed those instructions and nothing happens. When I looked into it further, Wix clearly says that it will not allow changes to its DNS settings and that in order to move my domain name, I either have to get my host-to-be to tell me how to point to them without changing the DNS servers, or I have to transfer the domain name entirely.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get in touch with anyone at Square support to help with pointing my domain. Chat doesn't help and no one has returned my emails for assistance. 

I would just transfer the domain even at the risk of losing my site for a week, but I can't do that either because I can't toggle that option, 

In either case, the whole thing has been frustrating and expensive because now I have a square site and gift cards I can't use at all! Any help anyone can give would be great - someone else must have tried to move a custom domain from wix to square before now?

Message 3 of 13

Hey @flowerfarmer

Sorry for the frustration around this. Transferring domains is not always easy. Let's start by verifying your domain name. I also want to mention that domains are locked in for 60 days after the initial registration or can be locked for 60 days if the registrant information has been changed.

Can you please follow the instructions here to update the A-record to 199.34.228.164. In addition, we suggest that you contact Wix once more so they can walk you through the process. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 13

Hi Sayra - thank you for your response. The frustrating part here is that I CANNOT update the A record. Wix says clearly that they will not accept any changes to the DNS servers. I have tried to follow the square instructions to change the A record, but it does not work. Wix has said that I must work with square to understand how to point to square without changing the A record. 

Talking to Wix will not help me here. They tell me to talk to square. All I need to know is how to point the custom domain to square without changing the A record. 

Message 5 of 13

I see! Can you please confirm your domain name? @flowerfarmer

Sayra
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 6 of 13

Message 7 of 13

@flowerfarmer- We were able to make some changes on our end that should allow you to change the address of your Square Online Store to the desired domain name. Please try again and let me know if you were able to complete this step. 

Thank you! 

Sayra
Message 8 of 13

I tried it again, but it appears as if nothing has changed. It is still asking me to make changes to my DNS settings. 

Message 9 of 13

Sorry to hear that you continue to have issues with this. Please contact Weebly Support directly. They may need to open a ticket with another department to further look into your account. 

Thank you - @flowerfarmer

Sayra
Message 10 of 13

Thank you for trying. I have opened a ticket with support but have not gotten any help there. Unfortunately, my case was 'escalated to online support' but it has been more than a week and I haven't heard anything. 

Message 11 of 13

Curious what the outcome was here?  I am also trying to transfer my domain from Wix (I would have kept the domain w/ them and just changed the nameservers, really disapointed in their selfish policies) to Square and I received an email from Weebly (?) saying the transfer is in progress and it could take up to 7 days.  I'm a struggling tourism based business that needs to be up ASAP, I'm just worried I'm going to wait the 7 days and then nothing is going to have happened.  I'm seriously wondering if I should just buy a new domain name all together.

Message 12 of 13

Hello. Were you able to switch from Wix to square?  I am trying to do the same thing.

Message 13 of 13