x
Admin

Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hello Seller Community! 

Am I able to backdate or edit a transaction after the sale is complete? What if the sale occured earlier and I recived payment at a later date? 

Message 1 of 135
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting, 1099-K's, and chargebacks. Also it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 135
134 REPLIES 134

Hello,

I'm going through my sales from the weekend and noticed a wrong amount charged to the customer. I clicked on it but see no options other than to refund which I don't want to do. Any ideas? I've gone through the website put can't find any information to call Square.

Thanks

Melissa Little
Message 127 of 135
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @vgiordano

I'm sorry about this experience and thank you for joining others reporting how this has impacted your business. I will make sure to pass your feedback to our product team for their visibility and consideration when working on future updates to Transaction reporting.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 128 of 135

I would like to add my two cents worth.....   I had a team member record an invoice and payment as $348.80 instead of $384.80.  It was a simple case of transposing numbers and I am unable to fix my records so that my bank deposits and sales records match.  If I go through an audit, I will be in trouble for non-reporting of sales.  I could simply add the $36 onto today's transactions, but then yesterday and today would BOTH be wrong and I am unwilling to have incorrect records for multiple days when it's unnecessary.  I am not sure why this is an issue and Square hasn't found a solution.  There are MULTIPLE systems that will allow you to make adjustments to previous transactions and leave an "audit trail" which eliminates the fraud issue as it notates every little thing you do, who performed the action and why.  As a leader in the POS market, I cannot fathom why Square cannot implement this simple programming change.  It's absolutely ridiculoud.

Message 129 of 135
Beta Member

Their claim is the ability can lead to fraud.  But, it is not their job to police the business activities of a location.  That act is up to law enforcement entities, not private business.  Do you believe gun companies, alcohol producers, and drug companies regulate the possibility for illegal use?  Nope, that is up to ATF, DEA, and Treasury on a federal level..  (not at all meant to start a political or ethical discussion, example use only.)

Message 130 of 135

I issued an invoice to a customer.  The customer paid via check.  I cashed the check over a month ago.  Now that I'm catching up on my bookkeeping, I marked the invoice as paid and indicated that it was paid via check.  However, Square will not let me indicate the correct date that the check was cashed - It only allows me to indicate that the payment was received today.  Now my bookkeeping with Square is inaccurate and there is no way to fix it.  This is a huge problem for me and my business and creates potential liability for me as a business owner as it could create confusion during an internal or external audits.

Square should allow business owners to indicate the date that a check was cashed when marking invoices as paid.  We don't all update our books every single day - which would be essential for this lack of functionality to not cause problems.

Square - if you're listening, please give us the ability to enter the date that an invoice was paid when we are indicating it was paid by cash or check.  This is ridiculous!  It makes me want to switch to a different credit card processor.  There are plenty of competitors that offer this functionality.

Message 131 of 135

YES!

For example, I had an invoice set up, Client paid. A week later, client lets me know he will be leaving that job and gave me the new contact person. Since it has been paid, I cannot go back in and edit their info or add that info for my delivery/set up guy. It's a very inefficient way of handling the invoices.

Also, it would be best if we could " add to" the invoice as opposed to starting a new one. The invoice could just have a remaining balance... it's not that complicated.

We also need invoices to be organized by date of service! You need to give us options on how to organize our own invoices. It's just sloppy of Square to leave it this way.

Start listening to all of us that use and PAY for this program. Please do better!!

Message 132 of 135

I have a few more checks that I need to record for 2022, but if i record my check it will be for 2023 not 2022. My transactions for 2022 isn't finished. Is there a way I can edit that?

Message 133 of 135
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @lind13

At the moment, you cannot backdate or change any transaction information for your payments. 

I have moved your post to a thread where other sellers have discussed the same thing. I know this has been a huge ask from our sellers to add to our roadmap, but it's still considered a Feature Request. 

You can jump over to the Ideate Board and post it there too! In the event we get more information from our Product Team, we will circle back and change the status on the post to keep you in the loop. 

Also, you can tag any other seller you'd think would be interested in this feature to add their voice! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 134 of 135

I thought I had set up tax exempt for wholesale correctly -- but at the end of the quarter it is telling me that those wholesale sales are taxable.

This information is then sent by you to my state either now or with a K-1 -- this makes me have to deal with telling the state tax department what the error was -- and if I miss dotting an i or crossing a T the state will charge me a penalty and interest.

In the end I will have to spend a lot of time dealing with it. 

The tax exeption for wholesale is not easily figured out (at least for me).

Message 135 of 135