x

File disappears from asset library on selection

Has anyone seen the behavior where a file will disappear from your asset library if you click on it to select it? I have literally been fighting with this ever since I move to a stock Weebly theme.  I can't keep any of my custom CSS files to stick.  

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Hello danielpeter! Just to clarify a bit, that's specifically regarding the assets added via CSS?

Message 5 of 19

@Queso wrote:

Hello danielpeter! Just to clarify a bit, that's specifically regarding the assets added via CSS?

Yes. I have a style sheet and a js file that I need to use with a history timeline I'm implementing.  The timeline works for awhile and then it stops. I'll go back to see what is going on in the asset library only to find either the files are missing or if I click on them, they immediately disappear.

I thought maybe it was because an editor was open in another browser window (though this has not been a problem before) so I logged out of the editor, quit all browsers, and logged back in with Chrome.

But the same disappearing file behavior persists. Odd.

Edit: And I have emptied the cache.

Message 5 of 19

I still have not gotten an answer to this to know if it just my site or across all sites. Maybe version 4 doesn't allow certain file types or names so it auto deletes them without warning?

I don't know what's up with this but I can't risk clicking on any file in the theme (Birdsey) without worrying that doing so will delete the file.

Message 5 of 19

The same thing keeps happening to me! It's so annoying! I just keep refreshing the page, and it'll be back, but it still disappears when I click it sometimes. I tried renaming one of them, and it stuck for that time.
But it would be nice to know why this is happening, and if someone could actually give a solution!

Message 11 of 19
Square

Strange; I can't seem to get this to happen when using Chrome in mac OS. Can you try switching to Chrome to see if still happens, @Hotspot?

Message 11 of 19

I'm on Chrome version 66.0.3359.139 (official build) (64bit) on Windows 10 (64bit) and it just happened to me.

One folder also disappeared after clicking on it and it never came back after refreshing. Maybe because i didn't save the html/css editor.

Message 11 of 19
Square

If you didn't save that would also cause folders you just made to not be saved with the theme. Sorry about that!

Message 11 of 19

No, need to be sorry. I'm aware of that Smiley Wink

But i meant that it still disappeared when i clicked on the folder with 2 files in it. Then i didn't know what was going on and clicked on other folders and they opened normally.

THEN i refreshed the page without clicking on save so i don't know why it was gone.

Message 11 of 19

help! what is the solution. this happened to me too

Message 11 of 19

This same thing is happening to me. I have clicked on the js files from the left nav and they disappear. I now cannot access two of the js files. Please advise as this seems to be some sort of glitche in weebly. 

Message 19 of 19
Square

Can you detail exactly what happened, @bclouser? I tried clicking on JS files in a theme in Chrome and nothing strange happened, so I haven't been able to reproduce. If the two files are plugins.js and custom.js, you could probably switch to another theme and copy the contents from there and paste into the new files in the theme you want to use.

Message 19 of 19

I tried your suggestion of just switching to a different theme and back. It requires me to do all my formatting again but the nav showed up. 

To explain the situation though, all I did was click my mouse on two of the js files in the left nav within Theme > edit HTML/CSS. And the files just disappeared. Very obscure that clicking to edit any of the files would result in them being completely deleted. Thanks.

Message 19 of 19
Square

Glad to hear that worked, @bclouser. That's pretty weird what you saw - I tried doing that but couldn't reproduce it. There's probably some other variables at play that I might not have included in my test, though.

Message 19 of 19

I have the same problem, I tried to click on a file and it disappear. Also I tried to move a file from folder to another and it disappear too.
Is there anyway to bring them back cause they damage my site and the content didn't shown up Smiley Mad

Message 19 of 19

I'm having the same problem with inability to move files and folders in this area without them disappearing.  Very frustrating.

Message 19 of 19
Square

Assuming you have the files locally, what happens if you simply delete the files/folders you need to move and then add them again in the desired location? Obviously this is not ideal, but it might for you as a work around.

Message 19 of 19

Hey, 

I can't find the image files I've uploaded to assets either. The files are images, which I'm using on social shares. They work (I have the code on page header so I tested the iamge urls, they images are still there on the weebly server), but I can't now delete them because I can't find them anywhere in the assets folder. Help??

Message 19 of 19

I'm currently having this problem and Weebly (Square) Support is being very unhelpful. This quite obviously seems like an infrastructure issue. However, when bringing it up to Weebly, they simply just use the copy/paste script about not being able to help with custom coding. 

I do not need help with the coding. I need help with the Assets randomly disappearing when I select them from the Assets list. Even assets that came with my theme disappeared when I clicked on them. 

This has got to get fixed.

Message 20 of 19