x

Purchase bypassed by "View Page Source"

My website sells digital downloads of music.  The site also streams the MP3s of the songs using Weebly's audio player.  I've realized that if a browser offers a View Page Source option (e.g., Chrome) viewers can see the MP3 files in the source code, open them in a new tab, and download them directly thereby bypassing the whole purchase.

Is there any way to prevent the MP3s from being viewed/downloaded through the source code?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

This is just with the audio players, correct? We have some third party audio apps in our App Center - it might be worth trying one of those to see if they obfuscate the path to the source mp3 file.

Message 5 of 4

Thanks, Adam.  I checked out the third party apps.  They seem good overall but there wasn't one that fully covered what I'm looking for (e.g., one had a 5MB file limit, another had recurring fees, etc.).  Does it seem feasible that Weebly would be able to update its audio player in the near future to obfuscate source paths or is this something that would only ever be handled through third party apps?

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 4
Square

I do think that would be something good for us to add - if you haven't yet I'd recommend posting it to our Vote on Features board.

Message 5 of 4