x

Would you buy paint online?

Hey everyone!

As I try to push into the online market, I have hit what seems like a wall of my own logic. Thinking through my company, which manufactures water based paints and wood stains/finishes primarily for industrial users, I have had a growing doubt about the likelihood of individuals buying paint/stains from an online store. This is especially complicated by the simplicity of walking into your local super-center and getting a gallon in colors you can see without a screen. Most of our likely online orders would be from current customers re-ordering product, but I am looking at attracting crafters and remodelers alike. 

I would love to hear ideas about how I could break that barrier. Our products blow the big guys out of the water, and our prices are better as well, but until people have it in hand, they will never know.

I lean into the wisdom of the community!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Hi, Steve!

I have personally seen a handful of our customers that sell specialty paints in their Weebly stores. Specifically, paint for refinishing furniture to a shabby chic look. Cabinet maker's stain and mixes, along with exterior paint for historic homes. Each of these examples has its own niche market, but some paints and stains are a bit difficult to get in some places. The big box home improvement stores may not carry the exact product you are looking for or you may want something that is different from what everyone else is using.

We also have a lot of woodcraft and DIY crafting websites that carry small batches of paints, stains and gels. That would cater to the individual who builds for themselves or sells their own products on a small scale.

However, I certainly think that ordering paint online isn't any different than buying wallpaper or clothing. There is no way to know exactly how the product looks or feels without seeing it in person, as you have said. But that certainly has not stopped buyers from doing it.

The goal would be to get the product into the potential buyers hands without them spending a lot of money up front. Only to find out they have chosen the wrong color/blend/finish etc. And for that, a couple of ideas come to mind.

How to help the customer pick and choose what they need?

1.) Color guides. Create 'true to color' guides that could be mailed out for a nominal fee. For stains and finishes use thin crafting wood in popular species such as (pine, oak, ash, hickory, basswood, etc). I suggest thin crafting wood simply to make it lighter, which would keep shipping to a minimum.

For paint, you could do the same thing or even use color chips, pamphlets, etc.

2.) Individual samples. Just like those, you would see at the large home improvement stores. With just these samples, it would eliminate the buyers worry on spending a bundle on the wrong color. This option would also give them the opportunity to get that product in their hands. Have them try it to see the quality for themselves and if needed order more samples until they get the right color.

Think outside the box. Go after a new group of loyal customers that would re-order regularly. Including those remodelers and crafters, you spoke of. But also, furniture, cabinetry and interior designers. Who spend a lot on finishes. Many of which do not have time to waste driving from store-to-store looking for the perfect paint, stains or finishes. Ordering online is certainly becoming the way to go and that even include paint.
This could even open up opportunities for selling wholesale to small businesses who want to carry your products. If that is something you are interested in doing.

P.S. My husband, who previously owned a custom cabinetry company, has even purchased stains online. They were in one and five-gallon sizes. He simply couldn't find exactly what he needed locally. That was a least 15 years ago. Selling paint and stains online definitely isn't new. You should be just fine. Smiley Wink

I hope this helps, Steve. Let me know if you have any questions.

Message 2 of 7

@Steve_AMS Well I never thought I would buy shoes online but I have done several times recently!  As with @Robin, I immediately thought you could supply small tester pots... as we call them here in the UK.

I also think you should stock more speciality products that can't be purchased in the mainstream shops.

Hoping this helps and I wish you every success with your online venture.

Message 3 of 7

I agree 100%, Susie. Depending on where you live. There just might not be a big box home improvement store or a hardware store, that has the things you need. Buying online is definitely proving to be the go-to spot. No matter what you are selling.

Tester pots... I never knew that. You learn something new every day. Although, I think tester pots is a much cuter name. 🙂

Message 4 of 7

Would I buy paint online? -- Absolutely!

As the others have said, it's not much different to buying clothes or shoes -- both of which I relish being able to buy online, simply because it saves so much time! And I often find that actually holding a paint sample in my hand or reading a description on a can of paint in my local store is no guarantee that I will be able to achieve the result I'm promised. For example, last week I decided that my wooden stable needed a repaint this year, so I headed to the local hardware store to get some more of the paint I used last time. But of course, as so often happens, the brand no longer existed and I had to choose a similar product by a different brand. Oh dear... Type of paint? Okay. Easy. Check. Colour? ... Samples! ... Well,.... Nice colour -- on a pristine piece of fresh wood. But on my old, weathered wooden planks? (Window frames are next. Oh dear...)

High-quality pictures, maybe videos and colour samples certainly make choosing easier, and good descriptions are essential for the more "exotic" products. Good customer service is also quite important: Got a question? Wrong choice? -- No problem!

Message 5 of 7

I have not purchased paint online, but I would.  Images of rooms painted a specific color in different light settings would be of help. The last paint color I purchased was mango  and it looked completely different in the morning than it did during  the evening.

Including objects  everyone understands the colors of would also be of help. For example, comparing yellow paint to a bowl of lemons would help me to understand the shade of yellow the paint will be.  Is the paint color  lighter, darker, or a match to the lemons?

I agree with the person who responded previously that the shade shown in the hardware store when purchasing paint is no guarantee that is the color you will experience at home. 

Message 6 of 7

hey, I am also working on a painting. do you like to visit it? I hope this is helpful for you. [url=https://sprayerguid.com/]sprayer guide[/url]
Message 8 of 7