x

ads.txt to root

how do i add an ads.txt to the root directory so a gaming site i use can revenue share and track traffiic on my site

"You're required to create and update your ads.txt file in order to run ads on your website" is what the site says  

softgames.com

Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91

It is not a requirement if you don't mind revenue impact. I pay my Weebly subscription from my Adsense earnings and I believe this is the case for most publishers out there. So yes it's a requirement for me and without it, I am leaving Weebly for good. I was just checking the forums and Weebly website migration also seems to be a problem. 

Message 63 of 92

That's correct. It is not a requirement as long as Weebly bloggers don't mind revenue impact. My blog is not going to be unlisted from Google search engine or anything like that. But it'll impact the earning. The red warning on Google Adsense dashboard is scaring the sh*t out of everyone.

@Shadi wrote:

It is not a requirement if you don't mind revenue impact. I pay my Weebly subscription from my Adsense earnings and I believe this is the case for most publishers out there. So yes it's a requirement for me and without it, I am leaving Weebly for good. I was just checking the forums and Weebly website migration also seems to be a problem. 

Message 63 of 92

This is ridiculous.  Switching hosts. It is evident Weebly won't directly address this issue.  They haven't then, won't ever. 

Message 63 of 92

What about your earnings? My earnings have gone down by 50% just after one day of ads.txt warning.

Message 63 of 92

I totally agree with everyone here. The ads.txt file may not be compulsory to have, in that you won't lose your account if you don't have it, but you WILL experience loss of earnings, as I have had, due to buyers no longer seeing sites as secure. They just go elsewhere. So for Weebly to say, when or if they will do something about this, is unacceptable. This is just basic and should be treated as urgent. It is now June, 2019 and I have seen people asking for this since early 2018. And so while the expectation by Google was that people would soon implement this without impunity, with some sites ignoring the request, or unable to, as in the case of the 1000s of Weebly website owners, we are now being penalized. 

I have 2 other websites with SBI and it was a 1 second upload in getting the file uploaded to each site. 

Such basic things one would expect from a company like this, and it can't get its act together. And it is not just the ads.txt debacle, but also the inability to add the gzip compression files either. All because we don't have access to our own root domains. 

So fine, if you don't want to give us access to this, then find a workaround, rather than just stonewalling us! And now, rather than later!

Message 63 of 92

Adam has been saying that the ads.txt is not mandatory. It is clear that they don't care about the money you lose due to the laziness of their team. The same para clearly mentions if you don't provide ads.txt you'll severely lose your earnings and Adam is half quoting that para. So he and his team don't give a da*n about our earnings.

I am more worried about the type of replies Adam is posting on this issue. He is still not sure when or if ads.txt feature will be added for bloggers which means "Weebly doesn't care about your earnings". Yesterday I received the alert on Adsense dashboard and today my earnings are extremely low.

Message 63 of 92

Perhaps they will care when they realize their Weebly customers are looking to go elsewhere! Often websites earn all their money using just Google Adsense. When their earnings are down, and the company they are with doesn't give a darn with no promises to address an urgent issue, then they will go to other companies who already have this in place. Wix, Wordpress, SBI, Squarespace have all addressed this issue for their customers and allowed them to upload the file. This is because they realize that the issue is important, not because they don't have anything better to do! However, not Weebly. That says a lot.

Message 63 of 92

The problem is that I can't move my blog from Weebly to other hosting providers such as Squarespace or Wix or Wordpress. Or is there any way?
Message 63 of 92

I just contacted one.com and they have pretty affordable plans with almost everything you already have with weebly. Adding ads.txt is as easy as pie and they would take care of transferring your website after you back it up. It may affect your SEO though but that's a little risk I'm willing to take 

Message 63 of 92

Once I back it up! It is the biggest problem with Weebly. There is no way to backup blog posts, comments, categories etc. So I can't back it up.
Message 63 of 92

I got a method to add ads.txt indirectly, but just not sure if google count it correct.

First i have a blogger page, which seems google auto added a ads.txt after the xxxx.blogspot.com; i don't know who added it; but anyway, i can find out from xxxx.blogspot.com/ads.txt

Ok, then i created a page in weebly, directly link it to  xxxx.blogspot.com/ads.txt

Finally, i use the 301 redirect on weebly settings to redirect www.xxxx.com(weebly one)/ads.txt to the above page i created.

I tried again on my www.xxxx.com/ads.txt, it successfully redirect to my blogger page's ads.txt which basically contain the same information of my adsense account.

Everything looks fine, just i m not technically sure, if google can recognise this after the above redirection. Please, can anyone let me know?

Message 63 of 92
Square

Google owns blogger, so it's not surprising they auto-add that file for you. I'm not sure whether Google will follow the forwards or not for that since it's technically loading from a separate domain name.

Message 63 of 92

Thanks Adam.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7532444?hl=en

I find it in above link, the FAQ "Does Google support redirects?", it states that:

Google supports a single HTTP redirect to a destination outside the original root domain (for example, example1.com/ads.txt re-directs to example2.com/ads.txt). See the IAB update.

I do not exactly know what it means. Do you think it is talking about the redirects that I used?

Thanks.

Dan

Message 63 of 92
Square

It's talking about the 301 redirect I think, and maybe a few other types of redirects. Hmm... It might be a better question for Google if your workaround will work.

Message 63 of 92

Tomorrow's the deadline. I'll be switching to Squarespace. I have a feeling that Weebly will soon be nothing but history. 

Message 63 of 92

I have migrated to Wordpress and it was not as complicated as I thought. Elegantthemes have written a great article on the this.

https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/resources/migrating-weebly-to-wordpress-a-step-by-step-guide

WPBeginner has created a tool to extract all your weebly site blog posts - http://weeblytowp.com/

It took only 3 days to prepare things for setting up a new website with the extracted posts. Now I have uploaded ads.txt on my own server and everything is working fine.

Just want to mention that my Weebly plan will end in 2022 but I swear I will never return to Weebly. The most careless service I have ever experienced.

Message 63 of 92

Do you guy's care if you loose customers behind this issue? ( I don't even won't to post right now, I'm really thinking about just starting over elsewhere behind this)

Message 63 of 92

There are dozens, if not hundreds of Weebly publishers asking for ads.txt support from Weebly for over a year publically.  Thousands of Weebly publishers are negatively effected by their not making this available to us.

Maybe it is time to bring this subject to Weebly's and Square's public social media pages.

Message 63 of 92

Tonight I tried using AdsTxtManger.com a free service/website.

It has 4 ways to implement the file....does anyone know how to do any (well, not #2) of these...

In order for Ads.txt Manager to handle your ads.txt file, you’ll need to set a redirect for your ads.txt file so that Ads.txt Manager can handle the file. 

There are 4 different ways you can set your redirect:
  1. .htaccess file redirectRedirect 301 /ads.txt https://srv.adstxtmanager.com/xxxx/xyz.com
  2. Use the Ads.txt Manager Wordpress pluginGo here to download: https://wordpress.org/plugins/ads-txt-manager/
  3. Nginx redirectserver {
      location ~ /ads.txt {
        return 301 https://srv.adstxtmanager.com/xxxx/xyz.com; 
  4. PHP redirect (place in current ads.txt file if php)
    <?php
      header('Location: https://srv.adstxtmanager.com/xxxx/xyz.com'); 
      exit;
    ?>

I tried a few different ways, unsuccessfully Man Sad

Message 63 of 92

My ad revenue has now dropped to $0.00/day. This is **bleep**ing ridiculous.
Message 63 of 92

Brother, I can feel your pain. I am going through the same. Just look at Adam's replies to my comments and see how irresponsible Weebly is. My earnings have gone down by 90% within 3 days. I am pretty sure it will go down to $0 within 3 more days. So before it happens I have moved my Weebly site to Wordpress.

Here is all you need to know to move your site to WordPress -

https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/resources/migrating-weebly-to-wordpress-a-step-by-step-guide

Extract all your weebly posts tool - https://weeblytowp.com/

I have migrated my website within 3 days.

Tags (1)
Message 63 of 92