x

How to use schema markup?

Hi, Since totally messing up my website by building a new one without preserving all of my valuable rankings and such, I'm having to scrape around to try and help my company.  One thing to try is schema markup, but I can't figure out how ot add this markup data to my HTML.  Is there another way of doing this?  Any help is welcome!

Mary @ Sensationalteas.com

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Hi @mary8961!

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to do this with Weebly.

If someone out there in the Community has done this before, perhaps they can share their experiences.

Sorry about that!

Erin

Weebly Community Manager

Message 2 of 14

Wow, I didn't expect that answer.  Hmmm, quite a few limitations to work around, maybe someone out there has figured out how to make Weebly work with Google's schema....from what I'm reading, it's one of the BEST ways to get your products and info out there AND boost your SEO.  

Thanks for answering Erin.

Message 2 of 14

You know, I just did a bit of Googling, and I found a few resources that you could try. However, I'm not sure how accurate or helpful they will be, since I haven't personally worked with schema markup.

Thanks,
Erin

Message 2 of 14

Schema is pretty cool, but many, many sites achieve success without using it.  Like any CMS it's gonna be hard to add that kind of markup to elements on your page because it's generated from templates.  

If you're well versed in HTML you could add a lot of site content using the embed code element, and then include some additional markup in those elements that way.

I'm not an SEO expert, but I think if you've got great site content, proper descriptions and keywords, and most importantly a lot of quality backlinks to your site, you'll gain all the SEO you need without the extra work.

Message 2 of 14

BJ you hit the nail...."Quality backlinks"....A backlink from Mrs. Obama's blog with "whitehouse.gov" as a source would be equal to hundreds or even thousands of backlinks from blogger pages.

Message 2 of 14

Very true!  Getting backlinks is a lot harder than it sounds though...but thanks for sharing.  Good point!

Message 2 of 14

The option I plan to implement, is to use JSON-LD and insert it inside <script> tags in the page <head> section. Both Microdata and RDFa have to intermixed with the HTML, which doesn't appear possible. Although editing the templates will allow some addition of schema terms, those such as "datetime" have to be converted into ISO 8601 format.

JSON-LD can be contiguous (ie a block all by itself), and can actually be added anywhere on the page. It is not generated dynaically, or automatically, but needs adding just once, as long as the page information is static too.

Message 8 of 14

Firstly, Google has made some pretty big announcements recently about the importance of structured data, so it's definitely something to consider (along with backlinks of course, on page SEO and the 200-or-so other ranking factors that Google considers).

Adding structured data markup is also relatively quick and easy to do, as opposed to link building which can be time consuming and getting tougher due to Google tightening the criteria on what it considers as 'quality' (not spammy) backlinks.

Now, to the implementation of the structured data:

Using the JSON-LD method seems to be the obvious choice with a Weebly site, since you have access to the <header> section of the page via Theme > Edit HTML/CSS.

You could add this manually for each page, or there is also a pretty nifty way to add the markup using Google Tag Manager. If you have GTM code installed on your site, it's definitely worth considering. 

Using the GTM method also allows you to add structured markup to Blog and Product pages, which at the time of writing I'm fairly sure you can't do manually in Weebly.

Here are a couple of other resources which may help if you're playing with structured data for the first time:

1. Types of structured data you can implement (AMP and non-AMP pages with examples)
  2. Google's Structured Data Testing Tool (you can add/play with sample JSON-LD code via the link above)

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Mark

Message 8 of 14

Mark,

Thank you for posting this - these resources lead me in the right direction and were a big help. 

Do you know if pasting my schema code into the Header Code in the page SEO Settings for each individual page would work?

I tested my URL with Google's Structure Data Testing Tool and it was sucessfully detected. Looks like I'm good to go?

Message 8 of 14

My understanding is that schema in JSON format can appear anywhere on the page, and it the preferred method by Google.

Message 8 of 14

Hi Mark,

To set the Google Tag manager there are two sets of code. I understand where to place the first one on the header. The second code "Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening <body> tag." How do I access the <body> tag?

Thanks,

Zara

Message 8 of 14
Square

In order to get it directly after the <body> tag, you'll need to edit each page template of your theme and add it there. You can do that on the Theme tab by clicking "Edit HTML / CSS". The page templates used by your theme are on the top left. 

Message 8 of 14

Try dropping it in the SEO header section of the home page and run a Google structured data test https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/u/0/

It worked for me.

Message 14 of 14