x

Why can't I leave alt-text entirely blank?

This issue is really frustrating and leaves our alt-text looking really poor.

As a default, any images you upload to Weebly have the alt-text: 'Picture' - which is still counted by search engines as readable alt-text, so this isn't blank...

With decorative images, if I attempt to clear this field and leave the alt-text section completely blank, it instead replaces it with something like this: 'element_settings.Image_30621876.default' which is even worse...

Why is there no option to leave image alt-text fields completely blank? If they're blank, search engine crawlers and more importantly, screen readers will just skip over it, but instead I've got a load of decorative images that just have 'Picture' as their alt-text.

Can this please be addressed and not left on 'We're considering it' or 'We're working on it' for about 5 years like so many other vital fixes that Weebly needs...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square

Hi, @Inspired83569. Neither of the default options is great, I agree, although even with a decorative image you could add something to describe the image. Not as quick as having no alt text all, but at least it would be relevant text.

Message 2 of 3

How do you edit alt-text? I've read the guidelines re: "advanced options," but in my website when I click on a picture, advanced options aren't offered.  www.alexandrahedbergmd.com

Message 2 of 3