x

cannot verify website; server not found

I have been trying to verify my site on Google Console periodically throughout the past few months. Each time I try, I cannot get it verified. I have tried numerous times using the HTML tag, adding, saving and then publishing it on my header (just as the weebly video shows). Each time I try, it says this:  Verification failed for http://www.sundryreverie.com/ using the Meta tag method (less than a minute ago). We were unable to connect to your server.

I have tried also using HTML upload, but I got the same error. I also tried using google analytics but to no avail. I get the same error every time. I was told that you guys at weebly may be able to help me solve this problem. The folks over at google don't seem to offer much help at this point. Please let me know what I need to do to get my site verified.

many thanks,

Weston E. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square

It looks like you're using the licensed version of Weebly provided by iPage. Unfortunately, that makes it pretty tough for us to troubleshoot what might be happening, so I'd recommend you contact iPage so they can take a look.

Message 2 of 11

I am getting exactly same issue - can you help please ? www.chichestersecuredog.co.uk
Message 2 of 11
Square

The code in your screenshot is for the DNS TXT record method. Since you registered the domain with us I can help you add that if you want, @ChiSecDog. All you need to do, really, is go to the Domain management page, click on the domain, then edit your DNS records to add a TXT record with that value. If you want me to do that for you let me know.

Message 2 of 11

Thanks for doing that Adam, its now verifed!

Another question if I may.  I had some formatting issues ( learning curve shall we say ) I've reformatted the site OK but now every time I drop a widget in the default Txt is really small.  Contact form / Text Paragraphs / Time and Date stamp on the Blog. How can I reset this to the default ?

Message 2 of 11
Square

Awesome! Glad to hear that. 

Go to Theme > Change Fonts > Paragraph Text and click the reset button - note that will reset all font options for paragraph text back to the default, not just the size. This will also affect all paragraph elements on your site.

Message 2 of 11

I am getting exactly same issue - can you help please ? www.chichestersecuredog.co.uk

Message 2 of 11
Square

It looks like you have have part of the meta tag added to Settings > SEO > Header Code, @ChiSecDog. The tag should look something like this:

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="your verification string">

All I see in the header code field is your verification string.

Message 2 of 11

Hi Adam,

That is the code Google Console is telling me to copy and put into the header - or am I missing something ?

imageimage

Message 2 of 11

If you could add it Adam as we have Domain with you that would be awsome

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 11
Square

Not a problem! I've added the record for you. It can take several hours for DNS changes to propagate, so I would give it a while before attempting to verify again.

Message 2 of 11