x

How to stop cdn2.editmysite.com resources being loaded

My published site has the following code in it:

<link id="wsite-base-style" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="//cdn2.editmysite.com/css/sites.css?buildTime=1531422638" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="//cdn2.editmysite.com/css/old/fancybox.css?1531422638" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="//cdn2.editmysite.com/css/social-icons.css?buildtime=1531422638" media="screen,projection" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="//cdn2.editmysite.com/js/lang/en/stl.js?buildTime=1531422638&"></script>
<script src="//cdn2.editmysite.com/js/site/main.js?buildTime=1531422638"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="//cdn2.editmysite.com/js/lang/en/stl.js?buildTime=1531422638&"></script>

The code loaded from "cdn2.editmysite.com" is large and slow:

main.js?buildTime=1531422638146 KB
main-customer-accounts-site.js?buildTime=1531422638136 KB
sites.css?buildTime=153142263832.7 KB
snowday262.js25.7 KB
snowday261.js25.7 KB
stl.js?buildTime=1531422638&21.7 KB
footerSignup.js?buildTime=15314226382.2 KB
social-icons.css?buildtime=15314226382.2 KB
fancybox.css?15314226381.7 KB

I am not adding this code to my site (as far as I am aware), and if I use Chrome devtools to block the "cdn2.editmysite.com" domain, my site still works.

Why are resources loaded from "cdn2.editmysite.com" and how do I prevent it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Square

Thanks for reaching out @redvee78. That content is actually coming from the editor (editmysite) so you would not want to block or make changes to that. Are you experiencing a very slow load time? Do you have large photos or video files on the site? Or are you using third party apps at all? 

Message 26 of 40

Hi,

I do not need the editor when I am not editing. The people visiting my site do not need the editor as they are not editing.

So why does the published site need the editor code?

Thanks,

Paul.

Message 26 of 40
Square

Sorry for the confusion, @redvee78. We load content from editmysite.com for the editor, though we also load rendered css and other code that the live site uses from the same domain. If you blocked content from that domain name, your site wouldn't load properly.

Message 26 of 40

Hi- I have the same question and issue.  Even if there is an image on the site or page, these cdn2.editmysite strings of code are slowing down the pages significantly and the editing is not needed by the live site.  So, why are the being used on the live site?  Can you explain that to a non techie?

Thanks!!  ilene

Message 26 of 40
Square

That content delivery network (CDN) also provides different code for a live site; essentially we're just using the same network to deliver different resources to one or the other. Hopefully that makes sense!

Message 26 of 40

My Google Ad has been disapproved and taken down due to the cdn2.editmysite.com reference.

Does this mean that Weebly is incompatible with Google Adwords?

Cheers,

Geir

Message 26 of 40

O got same problem. Good add dussaprivoved. How to solve tjis!

Message 26 of 40

Same thing just hit us, Great, once again weebly is screwing us all over.

I keep trying to call them and all they do is hang up on me.

Message 26 of 40

My sute was hacked already few years ago. All interface messed up by hacker. Now new domain also dissaproved by google ads . Crazy. Tske huge money and give **bleep**.

Message 26 of 40

Hi,

I'd like to re-raise the question of large JS files.

Could you explain why the following 2 large JS resources are served by my site and what functionality they bring to my site?  I am NOT talking about the editor, I am talking about the published site.

Thanks.

Message 26 of 40

What happened was Google accidently blocked editmysite.com labeled it as a malware, when it's not really, this happened on Sunday, we reached out to our contacts at Google and they said they resolved the issue. They mentioned if any more weebly users have issues with adwords, to follow these two links.

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/security/hacked/request_review

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_error/?hl=en

If you follow those and it's still disapproving, they mentioned to reach out to adwords, and explain the situation as well as mention you are with weebly there isn't any malware on your site, that it was misclassified based on editmysite.com

You can reach out to adwords here, https://support.google.com/google-ads/gethelp*

Message 26 of 40

ok Google Adword problems aside, these includes from cdn2.editmysite.com add over 2.5 seconds to the loading time of my web site. Is there anything that can be done? Can you compress the js at least (.min.js) if they can't be served locally?

Message 26 of 40
Square

There really wouldn't be a way to minimize or compress them more than they are right now. That may change in the future, but for the time being I don't see any changes to the size of the included resources.

Message 26 of 40

Adam, as a newcomer to Weebly, but not a newcomer to website building - something I have done for the last 10 years, I am amazed at the lack of interest you seem to give your clients when they voice the issues they are experiencing. Instead of brushing everyone off, can you just stop and listen when several people have the same problem and realize that for once, maybe there IS an issue!

I have seen so many people complaining about an issue on this forum, only for you to come back and tell everyone there isn't an issue.

Over the last few days I have had to find an app to add H1 -H6 headlines to my website - this is BASIC SEO. Why this doesn't come standard beats me! I have spent most of the afternoon finding out why I don't have a rel=canonical attribute which was resulting in being penalized by Google for duplicate content, and this afternoon I have been scouring the forum for a solution to minimize the load time to my computer with gzip compressor, only to find out that we don't have the ability to do so as we have no access to the htaccess. file!!!

Load time affects the SEO of any website - the slower the website the less chance Google will continue to index your pages. Period! It is all about user-experience.

If I knew then, what I know now, I would have found somewhere else to host my site!

Having 2 sites with Site Build it, and comparing the tons of good information they give you, plus people who actually listen when there is a problem, Weebly has a LONG way to get anywhere near as close to being as good as them.

The only reason I am here is because you were cheaper than SBI. But it appears the old adage of, "You get what you pay for." is becoming painfully clear.

A very frustrated customer!!!
Message 26 of 40
Square

I'm sorry to hear you are frustrated, @KateB and we appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. Adam has a deeper knowledge of how our editor works and I can assure you that he goes out of his way to make sure these feature requests are surfaced to the appropriate departments. If he says something is not possible (with our editor) it is because he's already done his due diligence and has had conversations with the engineers and developers about the possibility of said request. 

I don't know why H1 is not included in the editor, but I'm sure there was some reasoning behind the decision. I'll see if I can get some more information for you! We do have an open feature request for gzip, but there's no new updates to report. Apologies again, as I'm sure this is not the information you are looking for. 

Message 26 of 40

Thank you for your quick reponse, Bernadette, but yes, I am frustrated. Instead of getting on and building content, I  am running around looking for solutions that should either be already in place, or just a quick fix. Instead, there are neither.

Message 26 of 40

@KateB wrote:

Thank you for your quick reponse, Bernadette, but yes, I am frustrated. Instead of getting on and building content, I  am running around looking for solutions that should either be already in place, or just a quick fix. Instead, there are neither.

This is true.... I am experiencing the same. Spending weeks trying to find workarounds for Weebly components that are slowing the site or are causing issues in other ways that I've had to find solutions for. If I'd known what I know now I think I would have opted for WordPress..... As it is, I have spent so long on the site that I don't want to just give up on it, and I am attempting to share useful findings with Weebly to benefit everyone (it takes time to do these posts which I could just as easily use elsewhere), but am also experiencing a distinct lack of interest in these, which I don't understand at all. If I'm taking the time to be of service to other users, then surely Weebly should do the same? If you search the net there is an abundance of information all stating the same thing - page speed is essential for ranking. And Weebly components cause a significant drag on page loading.

As a for instance (and there are tons of others):

https://yoast.com/page-speed-ranking-factor/

Message 26 of 40
Square

We do appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm more than happy to pass it along to our engineers and product team. I can also check with Adam to see if he has any info he can add. 

Message 26 of 40

Any update to this issue ? 

I just came searching for why cdn2.editmysite.com is adding the following load times to my opening page ...
30KB 2,130 ms /css/sites.css?buildTime=158…(cdn2.editmysite.com)
2 KB 780 ms old/fancybox.css?158…(cdn2.editmysite.com)
2 KB 780 ms /css/social-icons.css?buildtime=158…(cdn2.editmysite.com)
27KB 1,680 ms en/stl.js?buildTime=158…&(cdn2.editmysite.com)
143KB 2,580 ms site/main.js?buildTime=158…(cdn2.editmysite.com)
TOTAL : 7950 ms

This adds almost 8 seconds(!) to my total load time of 9.2 seconds.

Message 26 of 40

There has most definitely not been a fix @angela12345. Most of the data usage from visiting my website is coming from cdn2.editmysite.com. I am just going to switch to a better website builder if we can't get a real answer from a Weebly associate. "That's just how it works until we possibly update it in the future" is not good enough. We all pay you guys a lot of money and I doubt a single one of Weebly's customers in this thread has felt that you guys give a single f*** about fixing issues brought up by us.

As stated, cdn2.editmysite.com has three entries on my site audit, all of which are at the top of the list of the most data wasteful resources that are loaded. This affects my SEO, my traffic, how long I can keep people on my website, what's worse is that the one of the cdn2.editmysite.com URLs has 99.3% of it that are unused bytes. This is ridiculous and a complete waste of loading time. My business is closely entwined with Weebly, but once you guys start affecting my bottom dollar without giving a solid answer is when I call it quits. I recommend you give your customers a better answer and work on a fix for something many people are being forced to deal with.

We need access to remove this from the coding ourselves or you people at Weebly need to listen to your customers and fix this data usage issue. I would rather rebuild from the ground up again and have a better chance at SEO than every Weebly website than continue to pay for a service that is subpar. This isn't the first issue I've had with Weebly either, it seems as though I run into them often. Weebly refusing to give a straightforward answer on this thread is kind of the last straw. It's ridiculous.

As well, when creating a website, you should make it clear that you cannot edit SEO or any type of CSS/HTML code with the "Shop" option that appears upon new website creation. The solution I was given by Weebly was to make a new account, purchase another Weebly plan, and rebuild the website from the ground up; choose "website" instead of "shop" on the new account. Your solutions to problems are ridiculous all around.

MAKE THIS KNOWN TO YOUR CODING TEAM AND FIX IT PLEASE. IT IS OBVIOUSLY AN ISSUE THAT MANY CUSTOMERS ARE DEALING WITH

Message 26 of 40