x

Product dimensions and not shipping box dimensions

The problem with many stores is they don't sell just one size items. One of our products is 30 inches long and 15 inches tall and 20 inches width. Our box could be used to put a few other things in there and it is nice to try to set up product items. But there in comes the smallest item i have is an inch wide, 1/8 inch tall and a 1/4 inch thick. Or another product that is 7 inches tall, 3 inches wide and 3 inches thick. Now.. how do I say how many products can go into that one box? Clearly only 1 of my big items can go into that box but if they are buying very small items than maybe up to 100 items can fit into that box. Or if they are buying mid sized items maybe only 4 more items can go into that box, or maybe 15?

I think we should not only be able to make many custom boxes, but also be able to put product sizes in so that it could be calculated exactly how much can fit into a box without having to have a human involved. I lose a LOT of money on shipping at this point. I am working to try to do the bigger boxes for the bigger items. But again, I cannot judge what a person will buy with that item to know how many items can go into that one box.

I sell thousands of items.
And some of my items drop ship. I'd like to be able to put in that these items can ship with each other but not with other things.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

Hi @Jay1026 What is the name of your site? You should be able to edit each item to include the correct box size. 

Message 7 of 6

Yes, I can change box sizes. However, as I said, I have thousands of products. AdvantageIncStore.com and if they are going to order two of the 30x50 items, then I can only have a max of 1 per box. If they are going to order 15 big thread with the 30x50 item, then all of those things can go into that box. If they are going to order 47 small threads and 1 big cone and a box of bobbins... well.. all that will fit in one box.
SO..... how do I set a limit?
Just doesn't work well with generic items. People don't sell things of all one size. So setting a box size with a limit  is nearly impossible to know.
b
And.. that wasn't even my original need. I stated we need to be able to put in PRODUCT size (not box size) so that it can be configured how many boxes will be needed.

And then put in box options to where it can figure out what size box will be needed. Having the sytem configure which box will be used. I have 20 box sizes just for our store. So setting what specific box for what specific product isn't a great fit either.

Like let's say I set the 10x10x10 box and they order 48 big cones, 1 15x50 yard item. two boxes of bobbins, and some alignment tools. Each thing is such a different size that it would actually need two boxes. But how do I set that it would need two boxes since the computer does not know which size each item IS.
Okay, what if the next customer orders the 48 small cones, the 1 15x50 item and two boxes of bobbins and some aligment tools, plus some other products and it does fit into the box. How would I put a limit on the amount? Since each size is so vastly different? Like I said, putting in weight and amount limits aren't really plausible.

Message 7 of 6
Square

Our system may not work for you if you are trying to calculate all of the possible equations of 1000's of products. You can set a box per product and each box size can have a quantity limit. It sounds like you are looking for something a bit more granular, though. Smiley Sad I appreciate the detailed feedback you left and will pass it along to the team. 

Message 7 of 6

Apparently there is a limit on how many boxes you can put in? I put in 15 box sizes and when I put in the 16th and 17th they won't stay in there. Nor will they come up in the menu, nor will they stay in if I do a custom job each time.

Weebly should (especially under Square's ownership) be able to gradually build this company bigger and better with better shipping options. I mean, if Ebay can configure in a size of the item and configure the box size needed, I would think you guys should be able to do so).

Message 7 of 6
Square

Thanks again for the feedback. You are correct that that the limit for custom box sizes is currently 15. This may change in the future, but I don't know if there's any immediate plans at this time. 

Message 7 of 6