x

Hey Everyone! What has been your experience with the growth of your business?

I haven't hit publish on my site yet. I'm excited and anxious and am being diligent trying not to overthink or rush the process. This is one of the first steps to me creating my brand and introducing it to the world. I want it to be a success, of course, but I also want my vision to be clear and for consumers to fall in love with it. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

Hi @CEOEncourage. We all have conflicting feelings of anticipation and fear when we start out. Don’t let any of that paralyze you. Publish. Then move on to the day to day stuff off an entrepreneur. 

I am in year 11 now. My business today is very different from what I started out with. I listened to my customers. I tried new things and kept some while discarding even more. I weathered a pandemic. I weathered a recession and 11 years later I think I’ve arrived. My business is strong, sound, profitable. 

As long as you believe in what you have started, you are on the right path. My only piece of advice is don’t get stuck in your vision as it is now. Be open to change. Go where your customers and the market lead you. You’ll never regret that. I don’t. 

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 11

Open to change! Yes. I think that’s one of the great things I learned working in retail as an employee for so long. Change is good, refreshing and can lead to new discoveries. My vision for is the foundation not the whole house. 

Message 3 of 11
Super Seller

Chip hit the nail on the head in terms of being open to change, the only thing I'll add is that includes being open to honest and often blunt/negative criticism. Just because you believe in your brand or product doesn't mean others will and being able to take criticism and pivot is a critical aspect of any business. 

The biggest issue I've had over the years was not understanding that you're your biggest cheerleader, you'll get out there and wonder why people aren't hyping up your product or business and it can really cause paralysis. Just remember that people are busy with their lives, social media algorithims mean most of your friends and family won't even see your posts in a lot of cases, and customer retention isn't as easy as putting out a product or brand. 

Changing shopping habits and building a client base is extremely expensive even when you've been in business as long as some of us and I say that not to discourage you but so that you don't throw every last cent at marketing only to end up with a lack of results. 

Most people expect a bonfire when they launch a brand or business because they see stuff going viral on social media and assume they will as well. Generally reality sets in and it's a slow burn/simmer and building a loyal following via word of mouth, in person events, and building the fundamentals.

Best of luck and don't forget to introduce your website so that people can take a look!

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 4 of 11

Thank you. Seriously, thank you for replying this is some of the best advice I’ve gotten. No one else in my circle is trying to do something of this caliber so I’m extremely open to any advice that’s going to keep me humble, realistic and optimistic. 

Message 5 of 11
Super Seller

Hit publish!!

Just remember that a website isn't a build it and they will come type of thing. You'll need to promote it, draw traffic to it, and repeat. Make sure it looks good on mobile and your SEO is solid.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 6 of 11

I definitely need to revisit my SEO. Thanks, solid advice. 

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller

Don't hold back, pedel to the metal. I would go live as soon as you can and fine tune thereafter as it takes time to be indexed etc. Growth will come with marketing, but making sure you have a clear brand identity and message from the onset is key. There are no quick wins, but just keep chipping away will get you there with time. 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 8 of 11

Thank for a honest and straightforward answer. Taking it all in. 

Message 9 of 11
Super Seller

Totally love this, @CEOEncourage!

I hope you've already hit publish on your website and are enduring the beautiful obsession that is watching each and every sale come in 🤣

You've gotten a lot of great advice below! Can we get and update?!

Lenore
LenJo Bakes in Kitchener, ON
Let's connect on Instagram!
Message 10 of 11
Beta Member

I agree with others. Just start! Think about it this way: you get better at anything that you continue to practice 🙂 You got this!

Message 11 of 11