x

Online Store Shipping Taxes and Itemized Shipping rates

Issue 1. Do I need to create a profile with shipping carriers, like USPS or UPS to add shipping taxes or is there a way to add my own. I have my own shipping rates according to item sizes and just want to add taxes. I have been around the block and can't reach the the pages that are listed in articles. It tends to go back to creating a business profile with national shipping carriers, which I am not ready for. 

Issue 2. I have created default shipping options for certain items and hidden the others on the item shopping pages but during checkout all shipping rates are able to be selected. I have created Shipping Profiles for certain items to group them in one rate but it hasn't made a difference when checking out. I want to make it so during checkout only one preselected shipping rate can be applied. In other words, my default shipping options should be the ones applied at checkout. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Welcome, @AspireP 👋

Can you post a link to your website so we can take a look at your current tax and shipping setup? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "reated default shipping options for certain items and hidden the others on the item shopping pages but during checkout all shipping rates are able to be selected" and seeing the live site in action will definitely help us get a better understanding. 

Thanks in advance! I'll be on the lookout for your reply. 😊 

Message 2 of 8

aspire-photography.square.site

Thank you!!! 

Message 3 of 8

You're welcome! Okay, so straight away I noticed that you have created a shipping fee as a modifier on your items. Is this what you mean by double charging? Or, is the modifier meant to be an additional shipping fee on top of the rate shown at checkout? 

If not, I recommend removing those modifier options from the items. Your actual shipping settings are showing that your items are assigned to custom profiles. This is a great way to setup rates as long as the rate applies to all of your ship-to locations. Items can only be added to one custom profile, so the rate displayed would apply to someone who purchased from California, as well as a purchase from New York. 

Also, please let me know if you are referring to something different with the double pricing. 

Message 4 of 8

So sorry for the late reply. Was having connectivity issues and then the holiday, haha. I removed the modifier sets, which made a huuuge difference. Thank you so much!!! I didn't want to double charge; just use the shipping rates I have assigned to items. I have noticed when choosing store pickup the deleted modifier still shows up at checkout and payment, even though it's not assigned to those items. How can I fix that? Also, I need to tax the shipping rates because of the laws in my state. Thank you SO much in advance! I was unbelievably lost, haha. 

Message 5 of 8

You're welcome, @AspireP 😊 Shipping questions are my favorite, so I'm super glad you asked! 

The deleted modifier showing up sounds like a possible bug, but I'm going to see if we can re-index your items first to see if that clears it up. Can you let me know one of the items that is doing this? I started searching, but ran into a couple other settings I was curious about. For example, the 12X20 Canvas item says it is tax exempt. Should it be? 

I also noticed you elected to include tax in the price of the item. It's totally fine if that is what you want to do, but I wanted to confirm because this setting often confuses people when then see the way it displays on the live checkout screen. 

And then I'm also trying to find the setting that allows you to charge taxes on shipping. Looks like it may have been moved, but I'll find it and let you know. 

Message 6 of 8

The tax exempt issue has been something I've been trying to fix. Nothing should be tax exempt. I'm based out of Maine so literally everything is taxed. There should be 5.5% sales taxes on the items and the shipping. I was hoping it would automatically calculate total taxes at checkout but now I know everything has to have their own tax settings for that. 

For the first part of your answer, some items I suggest store pickup because they are too expensive to ship for the average person. These are the 20x30 and 24x36 canvases. I also noticed pick up items cannot be sold in the same order as items set for shipping. Like, 24x36 canvases cannot be ordered with a 5x7 print because the shipping has to be the same for every item. Is this normal? 

. I ran the 12x20 canvas through checkout and it charged the 5.5% sales tax on it, so maybe it fixed itself?? I went through every item and set the taxes on them and was sure to save every time. . . :/. 

Thank you so much again! This is a huge help. 

Message 7 of 8

Ah, yes, you cannot mix fulfillment settings in the cart at this time. ex: one item for pickup, one item for shipping.

Are you seeing the tax issue with items that have the correct settings? As in, the page for editing the item does not have the "tax exempt" box checked?

Message 8 of 8