x
Super Seller Alumni

Quokka Coffee: Longtime Square user, new Seller Community member

Hi, everyone!

We've decided to stop lurking and finally join the fun in the Seller Community. 🙃

For years we've recommended Square to every cafe we've worked at and now it's finally our turn—at our very own cafe!—to really take advantage of our favorite point of sale and hardware combo.

We'd like to think it was fate Square Register was released in Australia at the same time we've been fitting the shop out. Check out our little sneaky peeky below, set up with not just one but TWO point-of-sale stations.

Room with a (sort of) viewRoom with a (sort of) view

We love the darn product that much.

Shoutout to our Account Executive Maxine L. who's been patiently answering every little question we've had to date.

Here to play,

The joeys at Quokka Coffee

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Square Community Moderator

Hey @QuokkaCoffee,

Welcome to our community 😊 👋

Your cafe looks stunning, I love how light and spacious it is. Please feel free to share an update once your fitout is complete, we'd love to see the Square Register on your point-of-sale stations. 

We're looking forward to seeing you around in the Seller Community! 

Message 2 of 20

Hi guys,  Andrew from Jacobs Larder here - a small take away coffee shop in Perth thinking about making the switch from ABACUS POS to square.  We have one KDS (kitchen display screen) for our baristas for coffee orders.  

Just wondering what square product you use for software?  Retail or restaurant?

Message 3 of 20
Admin

Hey @twadds, welcome to the Square Seller Community, good to have you here 👋

Tagging @QuokkaCoffee for visibility!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 20
Super Seller Alumni

Hi, Andrew!

I want to say retail--here's what it looks like from our till persons POV:

This changes week to week but our most important buttons stay where they are!This changes week to week but our most important buttons stay where they are!

We have a separate iPad with Square KDS and Square POS installed (to help crunch through the queue!), and use a coffee lid system to communicate with our baristas.

You're welcome to see it in action! We're just in Welshpool. 🙂

Happy to have ya,

Kat

Message 5 of 20

Great thanks for the quick reply!  I was hoping to have a KDS system setup too.  We currently use one with ABACUS and eftpos with Tyro which works well but the fees are a little higher than what we could have with Square.  I'd love to check out your setup as I don't think I need the restaurant app for the KDS option.  Cheers

Message 6 of 20

Hi again Kat,

I might take you up on the offer and come and check out your setup.  What hours do you guys operate?  I may be able to come past this arvo or tomorrow if that suits?  I'd like to see it in action and ask a few questions if that is ok.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 7 of 20
Super Seller Alumni

Heya, Andrew! Apologies for not catching this in time! I'll PM you separately with my contacts so we can tee something up ASAP. 🙂

Message 8 of 20
Admin

@QuokkaCoffee @twadds I'm going to chime in here and add that this might actually be our standard Square Point of Sale! It is a little hard to tell though as the Retail Point of Sale and classic Square Point of Sale can look similar in places.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 20

Thanks @Seamus and @QuokkaCoffee,  I'm glad that the KDS options will work with either Point of Sale and/or Point of Sale Retail - my initial belief was that it only worked with the restaurant option - a lot of which we won't need and it may just get in the way.  Still trying to settle on the best option for the coffee shop.

Much appreciated

Message 10 of 20
Admin

@twadds no worries! On KDS though, and I should have clarified this earlier - I'm under the impression it was not compatible with Square for Retail but is compatible with Square Point of Sale. The product page is generally the source of truth here, from the FAQ:

"Square KDS is a software subscription that runs on iPads using iOS 13 or higher. iPads and additional hardware do not come included, but hardware packages that include iPads can be purchased on Square Shop.

Square KDS is part of Square for Restaurants, and is compatible with Restaurants POS, Square POS, and Square Online."

What sort of business are you setting up? I might be able to let you know what would be most suitable for it anyway. If you need a KDS generally you probably don't need Square for Retail.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 11 of 20

@Seamus - we are running a take away coffee shop with quick grab and go food options also.  We currently use ABACUS POS with a KDS screen for the barista rather than having dockets lying around everywhere and this works really well.  Currently we print dockets off for the cabinet food etc but we might put in a KDS option for those items too.  So to be clear I can run multiple KDS with Square POS I just need to subscribe for each KDS that I use?

Kind regards

Message 12 of 20

@Seamus also just so you know I have just purchased one of the new square stands as I liked the look of this option.  I may have pulled the trigger early as the square registers also would be a nice option with a lower transaction rate too.

Message 13 of 20
Admin

@twadds I know you can run multiple KDS via Square for Restaurants and I assume it's the same via SPOS - however I have asked an internal team to double check that for you. I may not hear back until tomorrow on this one as the team are based out of the US. @QuokkaCoffee I don't suppose this might be part of your setup?

For the Square Stand - if you bought it from Square and it's within 30 days and you have the box and everything came with it, it's still eligible to be returned. If you bought it at a retailer you could also try there! For a bit more info on the difference between the two, check out this article. You can also call our support team on 1800 760 137 if you'd like to have a chat with someone! Lines are open 9am-5pm, Mon-Fri AEST.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 14 of 20

Thanks again for your help with this Seamus.  I look forward to the response you get from the US.

Much appreciated and Have a good weekend!

Message 15 of 20
Admin

@twadds Confirmed there is no restriction on the number of KDS screens you can have via Point of Sale. You'll just need to generate a device code for each one via Square Dashboard 👍

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 16 of 20
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks, @Seamus! Am setting up our second KDS as we speak! 🙏🏽

Message 17 of 20

Great sounds good - I'm currently on the trial version of restaurant so I assume that if I want to use the standard Square POS after that trial ends I will need to pay a sub fee per screen is that correct?  

Thanks for all your help with this - it has been very valuable.  If I want to keep track of cost of goods I will need the retail version but that does not work with KDS?

Cheers

Message 18 of 20
Admin

No worries @twadds! The standard Square Point of Sale is free, there's also a free version of Square for Restaurants. Square for Restaurants Plus is $129 per month, while KDS is $25 per month per screen.

At the moment yes, only Square for Retail has the ability to track cost of goods sold and profit margins.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 19 of 20

Cool - seems like standard point of sale and optional KDS might be our best starting point.  Shame the KDS options aren't compatible with Retail.

Cheers for all your help!

Message 20 of 20