x

How do I add a surcharge to a sale?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

How do I add the fee to the customers bill?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 260
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 193 of 260
259 REPLIES 259

Since your transaction fee had the potential to put me out of business (my average ticket is $6.50, and I have 27,500 transactions a year; an addition that is more than a month of my salary) I had to add a transaction fee to my customers, but during a rush the button I created is sometimes forgotten and if there is a split charge with a gift card ot is impossible for me to add if the customer opts to use a credit card upon realizing their balance. Why is there not a way to automatically apply a flat or percentage transaction fee to customers paying with a card. Or even better allow other merchant processers to use your software. Please and thank you.

Message 148 of 260

Is there a way to add a service fee to an order ...in this case it would be very much like when you pay credit at a vendor and it adds an additional .10 cents?

Message 149 of 260
Admin

Hey @StauntonStorm20-

It sounds like you're referring to adding a surcharge to a sale. 

Take a look at @Joe's verified answer, among the other comments in this thread for guidance on how to do this. Let me know if you have any additional questions.  

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 150 of 260

add a tax call credit card 

Message 151 of 260

I want to apply surcharges, but I couldn't do it in the Square app or squareup.com. I couldn't find it in the settings or anywhere in app or website. I understand that it's illegal to do it in 6 states, but in my state it is fine. There is an articles about it, but it just provides the information about it. Here is the article https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5671-can-i-apply-a-surcharge-to-square-sales.

Message 152 of 260
Admin

Hey @Steven99-

We can't advise on how to create a surcharge. 

However, this thread has other sellers that have wanted to create a "service fee" or "surcharge" and how they did it. I would encourage you to take a look at the comments within this thread. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 153 of 260

The title of this post has been edited by a moderator.

My store is not a restaurant. I'm located in NYS and want to charge 6% on order.

How do I get 6% to come up?During Corona shutdown some people will order via phone or web store. Web store tax will be 6% if they live in NYS and I'm shipping.

My biz seahagsoaps.com right now and building seahagproducts.com with Square.

Thanks,

Colleen

Message 154 of 260
Admin

Hi there @seahagsoaps.

I went ahead and moved your question to this relevant thread where other sellers talk about how they've added surcharges to their transactions, both online and through the POS app.

Hoping this helps you out!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 155 of 260

Thank you! Still learning.

All the best.

Colleen

Message 156 of 260

Do you pass on the square fees to your customers, if so how do you so this?

Message 157 of 260
Super Seller Alumni

Great question @pethavenpets 

I did it super simply: I just raised my prices by a little bit to cover & make up for any credit card fees. 

I want my customers to use Cards and not cash, and as a consumer, I always get turned off by places that have minimums & charge transaction fees. So I just did a flat increase of all my prices by a few cents, depending on what my fees are based on average transaction size. 

Easy peasy! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 158 of 260

How to the credit card fee onto the customer?

Message 159 of 260
Square Community Moderator

Hi @airplane6333,

I moved your post to one of the existing threads for this same question.

Check out the Best Answer on the first page for more details. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 160 of 260

Is there a way to impose the credit card fee to the customers? 

Thanks!

Message 161 of 260
Beta Member

How would I add a credit card convenience fee to our customers who choose to use a credit card. It is legal in the State we are in. 

Message 162 of 260
Alumni

Hey @WABBQ  - I think you're looking to add a surcharge to your customer's bill. Joe provides insight on surcharge policies on this thread I moved you to. Check out the verified answer on the first page. 

Justin
Message 163 of 260

I just add an extra amount to the delivery charge for my restaurant, if the order is a pickup order and the total is under $15 I just add an extra dollar for credit cards at the counter. My customers all know it and are okay with it. I have signs showing the charge 

Message 164 of 260

I have been trying to get help for over a week from square- trying to establish customers paying fees vs us since we have been so devastated by COVID.  Anyone know how to do that?  Getting a call back and able to access customer service would be great

Message 165 of 260

We want to pass the fee along to the customer how can we do that?  

Message 166 of 260
Beta Member

yes i would like to know as well more & more processors are charging on the customer end of transaction the cc fees would be nice if square can offer that as a option at least for order under $10

Message 167 of 260
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @pjcycle 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here. Welcome!

Also, Hello to @magicfountain! Thanks for adding your voice here.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread regarding Selers who also wanted to charge their Customers a transaction fee. 

When it comes to adding a surcharge for your customers, you may want to see how other Sellers have suggested. In addition, you can learn more about how Square processing fees work here: Understanding Our Fees | Square Payments

We recommend talking to a tax or legal professional for guidance on whether surcharges are permitted in your area. Should you decide to apply a surcharge, it is your responsibility to meet all legal and card network requirements. You can learn more about surcharges here

Let me know if you have any questions!

Joe
Message 168 of 260