x
Admin

What inspired you to start your business? Do you still feel the same way? ☁️

Hello Seller Community! ☀️ 

What inspired you to start your business? Do you still feel the same way? 

You may have noticed in the last couple of weeks that our amazing @isabelle has been posting a weekly question related to best practices, advice and your experience as business owners in the US Seller Community. The response we received so far are incredibly valuable to new business owners, existing business owners, and offers a chance to learn about fellow Seller Community members and their businesses. 

So, we want to try out something new here today - we'd love to hear about what inspired you to start your business and if you still feel the same way about it now?

giphy (1).gif

Please feel free to reply below with your thoughts and a bit about your business! You can share any websites or social links if you'd like 🙂

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

About three years ago my wife, Teri, wanted to knit something using hand-dyed yarn but found the prices were quite high. This inspired her to have a go at doing it herself. She bought some plain yarn and a hand-dyeing kit and was rather pleased with how her efforts turned out so posted a picture on Facebook. This generated some enquiries from people asking if they were for sale. This interest grew so I set her up a Facebook Page. She created colourways from her own ideas and people would send her photos for her to translate into yarn - animals, sunsets, wedding bouquets, all sorts. We decided it would be better to have her own website. I have done website design in the past but not anything including commerce. Not sure how, but I came across Square and thought it might be a good fit with what we needed so set up a Square Online site which worked, and still works, very well. We now send yarn all over the place but mainly UK and America with a few customers In a Australia and New Zealand. Her latest is a colourway called RAF Poppy and a percentage of the profits will go to the RAF Benevolent Fund. 
https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 2 of 4
Admin

Thank you for sharing this @tonydow! It's amazing to hear how a small project can turn into an international endeavour! 🌍

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 4

Whilst working for local government, I did purchase orders of stationery as part of my role.  As a result, I noticed they were paying extortionate prices for items I could buy for the fraction of the price.  All because they were stuck in a contract with the suppliers who obviously took advantage.

It was at this point I resourced the same products from alternative suppliers for less and thought, hang on, I bet the government aren't the only ones who are ripped off by greedy suppliers and started looking at sourcing other products and services for local small businesses who work on a small budget.

Since then I found website, eccommerce and online booing platforms I could easily set up that would save these businesses a lot of money whilst maintaining a professional look for their online marketing.

I didn't stop there, but also compared the price of building a computer to one bought off the shelf and found I paid ⅓ of the price for custom build AND built a computer that was a higher and better quality spec too.

This is where Any Other Business was born...a business that offers guidance and assistance in sourcing and selling high quality products and services to small businesses for low prices.

I had one customer who was looking for a good price for an A3 all-in-one printer/scanner.  The best price he could find was £239.  I managed to source and sell him a printer, which was an easy find, for £197.10.  Though this was after I applied 10% discount offered during the first month opening my business.

He was ever so made up and fed back that I am efficient and thorough in getting the product sourced and delivered.

If anyone is looking for a good price on a product that isn't on my website, I am more than happy to source this and if successful, not only will my customers save money, but builds on what products I can offer to other customers.

Anyone reading this, you're more than welcome to try out my services.  No matter your business, I deal with Any Other Business.

Message 4 of 4