x

Is it possible to automatically apply discounts to items when thresholds are met?

We are having a warehouse sale and we have some items that are $4 or 3 for $10. Is there a way to automatically apply discounts? It is very hectic during these sales and I can't expect the cashiers to remember every promotion. 

If not looks like I have to go back to my cart's POS, which isn't as user friendly, but seems to be more functional 😞

Message 1 of 8
Super Seller

There is not currently an option to do this.

The best way currently is to set up multiple price points and the cashier would have to select the right price based on the items purchased.  for your example setup the item with a $4 price point and a $3.33 price point.

This has been talked about many times here and is a definite feature that should be added.  Hopefully, in one of the APP updates we will see it, until then we have to use workarounds.

Message 2 of 8

Thanks for responding! Our sale was Dec. 10th. We ended up using our cart's POS. Maybe by the time we have our annual sale next year, this will be available 🙂 

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

This is definitely a feature that is highly requested and also one that our Product Team is actively tracking. The method that @VanKalkerFarms suggested is commonly used by sellers needing this functionality. 

Check out this existing feature for a few work arounds as well: Does Square offer conditional, criteria, or quantity based discounts?

Message 4 of 8

So following this post and it's been over a year. Any traction? The suggested workaround won't translate to the online store either. Why can't this be done logically versus manually? For example Item A costs $7.00 but I want to give a discount starting at the purchase of 10 or more of $.50 off of each. So 10 would yield a $5.00 discount and 11 would yield $5.50 and 17 would yield $8.50. and so on. Is there a road map that can be shared of the up coming enhancements, bug fixes, etc? Is there a developer community that can be joined? I have developed for decades and would be glad to contribute.

Message 5 of 8

It is great to hear that the functionality is beingactively tracked. It would be even better to hear that it was being worked on!! 

Unfortunately the work around mentioned doesn't work for us either. The cashiers are scanning the UPC barcode of each item. We have over 5000 UPCs and the cashiers have no idea which ones would be part of a bundle.  On top of that, the customer is often checking out with dozens of items. 

We actually used a different work around at our last sale. We updated the names of the items to have **4 for $10** (or whatever the discount was) pre-tended to the actual name of the product. Then the cashier could go through the customer's items and manually apply the discounts. It was very time consuming and the customers waiting in line kept complaining about our checkout system. In fact, the only negative review we got on the transactions was that the checkout system (aka square) wasn't any good 😞

Message 6 of 8

I feel your pain. The funny thing about this is the fact that early computing was all simple math and yet that was missed here yet CRM and Marketing seem to get the priority from the development team(s). I could be wrong but that is the way the optics lean for me.

Message 7 of 8
Admin

Best Answer

Hello hello! I just wanted to update this thread to let you know that: Automatic Disounts are now available for Square Point of Sale! 🎉  

This automatic discount feature can be used to create a limited-time discount, or for discounts like happy hours. 🙂

Head to this Product Update post for more details: Automatic Discounts for Square Point of Sale app or visit the Support Center for step-by-step instructions to create automatic discounts.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 8