x
Admin

Choosing the right Square Point of Sale hardware for your business

We’ve put together this overview of Square Point of Sale supported hardware and hardware FAQs to help you select the right reader for your business. 

Square Reader for magstripe (with headset jack) and Square Reader for magstripe (with Lightning connector)

Square Reader for magstripe (with headset jack)Square Reader for magstripe (with headset jack)

Connect the Square Reader for magstripe to your mobile device (Android or iOS) to accept credit cards. To accept debit and chip PIN cards you’ll need the Square Reader for contactless and chip (see below!).

How much does it cost? Your first magstripe reader is free! Additional magstripe readers cost $10 each.

Where can I get one? Order a reader online from the Square Shop or from the Settings section of Point of Sale app. Readers arrive in 7 to 10 business days and shipping is free! 

Need a magstripe reader ASAP? Buy a reader in a retail location near you.

Suitable for: Getting started with Square! Anyone who needs to accept credit cards on the go, or who needs a quick set up, e.g. use this reader at fairs, markets, or to accept donations. 

Square Reader for contactless and chip

Square reader for contactless and chipSquare reader for contactless and chip

Accept every major credit card, contactless payments (Apple Pay Google Pay), and Interac Flash (tap) transactions up to $100 with the Square Reader for contactless and chip. For payments over $100 customers can insert Interac Debit cards. This reader connects to your device wirelessly via bluetooth.

How much does it cost? $59 or pay in monthly instalments. 

Where can I get one? Visit the Square Shop to order Square Reader for contactless and chip. Readers arrive in 7 to 10 business days and standard shipping is free! Expedited shipping is available.

Need a contactless and chip card reader ASAP? Pick one up from Staples or BestBuy.

Suitable for: Individuals who need to take payments on the go (wifi or data required to accept chip and tap payments) e.g. farmers markets, fairs, or to accept donations or businesses who lightweight, pocket-sized Point of Sale e.g. plumbers, electricians.

Square Terminal

Square TerminalSquare Terminal

Square Terminal is an all in one Point of Sale: accept all major cards, Interac debit chip and PIN and contactless payments including Apple Pay and Google Pay. Build your item library, print receipts, and connect hardware accessories with the hub for Square Terminal.

How much does it cost? $399 or pay in monthly instalments. 

Where can I get one? Order a Terminal from the Square Shop. Your Terminal will arrive in 5-7 business days and standard shipping is free! Expedited shipping is available.

Suitable for: Cafés, bars, or restaurants to accept payments table-side. Also suitable for any business that doesn’t need a static register and connected hardware (see Square Stand below) e.g. art galleries or services or repair businesses like dry cleaners, plumbers, electricians. In addition, you can use Terminal out  in the field (e.g. at tradeshows or for on-site services) by connecting to a mobile hotspot.

Square Stand for contactless + chip

Square Stand for contactless + chipSquare Stand for contactless + chip

Square Stand transforms your iPad into a secure countertop register. Accept all major credit cards and Interac debit chip and PIN. Square Stand also comes with a USB hub so you can connect hardware such as a cash drawer and receipt printer.

How much does it cost? $199 (if you have your own iPad) or pay in monthly instalments. If you need to buy an iPad the cost is $648 (tax not included). 

Where can I get one? Order a Square Stand from the Square Shop. Your Stand will arrive in 5-7 business days and standard shipping is free. Expedited shipping is available.

Need one ASAP? Square Stand is also available to buy at Staples and Best Buy locations in Canada. 

Suitable for: Businesses looking for a countertop solution such as retail stores, boutiques or cafés, quick-service restaurants, food trucks, and salons.

FAQs about Square Hardware

How can I learn even more about Square hardware? Visit our website: Compare Square Hardware.

What are Square’s fees? Visit our Support Centre for details about Square’s per-transaction fees

How can I learn more about instalments? Learn more about Instalments for Square Hardware in our Support Centre.

Where can I find out which hardware accessories are compatible with Square? Visit our Hardware Compatibility by Device article for the most up to date information about supported hardware including cash drawers, receipt printers, kitchen ticket printers, and barcode scanners.

Is Square Register available? At the time of writing Square Register is not available in Canada. As soon as Square Register is available we’ll let you know. Subscribe to this thread for updates

Can I use a reader or Terminal that I purchased in the US? No. Square readers and the Square Terminal can only be used in the country in which you've activated your account. 

Can I expedite my order to receive it in 1-2 days? Expedited shipping pricing is dependent on the hardware and shipping speed. Select this option at checkout to view pricing information. 

I haven't received my Square hardware, what do? If your hardware hasn't arrived, read our Support Centre article for the next steps.

Reply below if you have any questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Check out this post for an overview of Square Point of Sale hardware — from the small white reader to the Square Stand — and a list of hardware FAQs to help you select the right reader for your business! 🎉

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Best Answer

Check out this post for an overview of Square Point of Sale hardware — from the small white reader to the Square Stand — and a list of hardware FAQs to help you select the right reader for your business! 🎉

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 2