x

Question for start up food entrepreneurs!

What advice would you give to small businesses partnering with other small businesses in order to get them noticed by distributers? For instance, a bakery and a coffee roaster?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Have you contacted a distributes in the first place? They usually have catalogs if you request them.

Message 2 of 14

In the process of filtering those who may work with small business entrepreneurs. I had one local deli

sell but they bought my product at the same consumer price. That didn't last too long.

Message 3 of 14
Beta Member

This is a great question and it is something I too would like to solve! 

Luis Velez
Message 4 of 14
Beta Member

After almost 3 years of doing what I love, growing and expanding my nut butter business, I have come to realize that the best way to be recognized and taken into account, etc., by large vendors of anything we might need is to find and join forces with similar small businesses and like-minded entrepreneurs to form buying groups! This way, we can share the benefits of credit, better all-around pricing, better payment terms, etc., till you can pursue your supply chain independently!

Luis Velez
Message 5 of 14
Admin

This is REALLY great advice, @nutbutter. Thank you so much for sharing! 

Can you give us an example of ways that you've banded together with other small businesses to attract and work with larger vendors? 

I'm curious to hear how you found the right small businesses to partner with in your local community? Any tips for ways to approach these conversations -- both with other businesses and the vendors? 

Message 6 of 14

We have been in business for two months, prior to opening we built our business credit profile. When we opened the distributors ran our business credit and we were approved. We chose Sysco and they are dropping off on Mondays.

Vanessa Bouie
Message 7 of 14

Are you asking about selling through a distributor or buying from a distributor?

Message 8 of 14

Selling.

Message 9 of 14

While I don't sell anything through a distributor like sysco I do buy from them. So I would start there. I would ask my rep to tell me how to get a product to the right people. Once you go through the process with your vendor/distributor you'll have a good idea of how to handle other vendor/distributors Hope that helps. 

Message 10 of 14

I appreciate your advice regarding this. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Message 11 of 14
Beta Member

If you are going to try for the big guns ( i.e. Sysco or the like) you will need massive insurance and a track record of supply. I think you should try getting into some coffee shops, gift shops, boutiques. The shop owners will want a great product and packaging at a good price so that they can still make a profit. 

Happy Thanksgiving!!

DuWayne Dean Hegel
Message 12 of 14

Thank you for your time and you're correct. People want you to get into big box stores and franchisees as if you're connected to a huge corporation. ๐Ÿฆƒ Wishing you a peaceful Thanksgiving.

Message 13 of 14
Beta Member

I live in a small town and I have noticed people will purchase things that are packaged small but it has to be great quality. I love small businesses 

Message 14 of 14