x

Can I use Square abroad?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Using Square Abroad

I am traveling to the Philippines and want to do business there. How can I use the Square Reader?

Message 1 of 19
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Using Square Abroad

You will not be able to use Square in the Philipines or any country outside the country you registered in.

Square does not service the Philippines.  here are the places Square works if you opened a Square account in the region mentioned.  US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the United Kingdom.  Square currently doesn't support payment card processing outside of these countries or in U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/4956-international-availability

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

You will not be able to use Square in the Philipines or any country outside the country you registered in.

Square does not service the Philippines.  here are the places Square works if you opened a Square account in the region mentioned.  US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the United Kingdom.  Square currently doesn't support payment card processing outside of these countries or in U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

Message 2 of 19

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I wanted to use my square overseas but it didnt work!! Is there a way i can charge overseas?

Can I use my square account overseas?

Message 3 of 19
Super Seller Alumni

Sadly, no you can't use your Square system anywhere outside of the country in which it was set up.  This is due to all the different laws and regulations in each separate country.

Judy T Shumway
Message 4 of 19

Was wondering if square is able to be used on military installations with all American credit/debut cards or will the transactions be blocked due to physically being used outside the U.S.?

Message 5 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Frankie23,

It looks like this question has been asked a few times before in the Community so I moved your question to one of the existing threads.

@VanKalkerFarms answered this one above.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 19

We are having a meeting in Dubai and will need to take credit card payments to collect registration fees.

Will the app work in that location?  The business address is here in the United States and we have used it many times at various locations around the US.

Message 7 of 19

Hi @carrielcorona! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a relevant thread about using Square abroad.

See the Best Answer above for more details!

Ashley C
Message 8 of 19

Can I use a card reader and my Square Account on a cruise ship. The ship will have Internet access and be sailing in the Caribbean. 

Message 9 of 19

Hey @johns1150 and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an existing thread on using Square internationally. 

Please check the best answer for more details surrounding this. 

Ashley C
Message 10 of 19

I am traveling overseas and I’m trying to make a manual credit card charge it keeps declining because of the location what should I do and how do I solve this

Message 11 of 19
Super Seller

There is not a way to run a credit transaction if you are outside of the country where the account is set up.

Credit card contracts don't allow Square to operate a single account in all locations Square services.

Message 12 of 19

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Moving

Later this year, depending on when the virus panic calms down, we will be moving ourselves and our business to Europe.

Is it possible to transfer Square to our new location or should I just terminate the account?

Message 13 of 19
Alumni

Hi @jdurand - your Square account only works in the country it was originated from. So if you have a US account, card processing is only allowed in the US for you. 

You'll need to create a new account while in Europe. But keep in mind - card processing is only available in certain countries. I merged you to a relevant thread to learn more. 

Justin
Message 14 of 19

I am on vacation outside of the usa and cannot process payments with my costumer’s cards on file. Please let me know how I am able to process payments. 

Message 15 of 19
Admin

@DVBGROUP I'm assuming you created your account in the US. If that's the case, I'm afraid that you won't be able to process those payments while outside of the US.

As a workaround, you can send an invoice.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 16 of 19

I see old responses, but nothing current. Has anything changed since 2016?

Am I able to take Square payments while I am at a show in Germany? 

Message 17 of 19
Beta Member

Hi DaveRiba,

According to this info - card transactions attempted outside of the country where you activated your Square account can’t be processed with Square.  However, you can accept cash transactions while traveling internationally.  And looking at what countries where you open a Square account - looks like Germany is not on the list.

Message 18 of 19

Hi @DaveRiba

I moved your post to a relevant thread about using Square abroad. However, @JK_Fiber_Art is correct. You cannot take card payments using Square outside the country that your account was set up in. 

Message 19 of 19