x

Can I use my msg stripe reader even if my contactless is paired?

Hi

I have paired a contactless chip / card reader to my iPhone. Can I also use my magstripe reader sometimes ? Does the contactless reader need to be away or turned off? I’m unable to use my magstripe reader anymore after I paired the contactless device. 

Do the old magstripe readers still work when attached with a toggle to my iPhone ? 

thank you. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Vivawest and welcome to the Seller Community  

Magstripe readers should indeed work even when a Contactless and Chip reader is paired to your iPhone. I would suggest making sure that the reader doesn't have any debris and that there is nothing preventing the reader of being fully connected to your iPhone (e.g. Phone Case). 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @Vivawest 

@JJ_ is absolutely right that you would be able to still use the Magstripe reader. The only caveat is that if the card has a Chip on it, Square POS would push you to use the contactless/chip reader first, since it's more secure and there's less liability. 

If there's no chip on the card, then you would absolutely use the magstripe reader easily if it's connected.

Let us know if you have any other questions,

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@Vivawest Yes that works, but keep in mind with swiped cards you are not protected. The customer that swipes can then tell her credit card company that she was never at your shop and gets her money back instantly. You have no recourse.

With the chip/tap reader, you are protected.

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 4 of 4