x

Does Square prompt you to deduct tare weight when using the integrated scale?

I've called into support and am having trouble getting an answer to this question. All of our products are pay-by-weight and we need the capability to deduct the tare weight of the container from the total weight after weighing it on the integrated scale. This is the only way that this scale would make any sense for our business, so I can't justify making the purchase without knowing the answer to this question. I don't see "tare weight" mentioned anywhere in any articles or product descriptions, so I'm a bit worried that this software just doesn't have that capability, but I am hopeful!

Message 1 of 47
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Tare Weight Function

We are a bulk store and found a scale that had a tare function---where we can type in the weight of the container and hit tare, and it only gives us the weight of whats inside the container for entering on Square. This works for our zero waste store!

2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

If we take a look at this scale in the Square Shop, there is a Tare button on the bottom right-hand side of the face of the scale. This is the button you'll use to tare out the weight of a container prior to weighing the product to be sold.

I used to work at a loose leaf tea shop, where we had a big scale that we used to weigh out teas into varying sizes of containers. Sometimes, we used the Tare function before filling containers with tea - we typically did this for oddly shaped containers that we didn't have presets for. Most of the time, we used a couple of preset Tare buttons that we had set up on the scale itself. 

If you already know the weight(s) of your container(s), the preset Tare weight sounds like it's the feature you're looking for. You are able to input 5 different preset Tare weight values using this scale. If you set up preset Tare weight values, you will be able to deduct the weight of the container from the total weight of what's on the scale by using a button on the scale.

If your customers are bringing in containers of all shapes and sizes, you would follow the same steps I followed with oddly shaped containers at the tea shop. @LocavoreStore similarly explained how a yogurt shop would ring up yogurt in a container without charging customers for the container here

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 47
Beta Member

Best Answer

We are a bulk store and found a scale that had a tare function---where we can type in the weight of the container and hit tare, and it only gives us the weight of whats inside the container for entering on Square. This works for our zero waste store!

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Is there a way to preset the tare for individual items without having to tare the scale prior to every item being weighed that uses a different bag / container ?

Message 22 of 47
Square Community Moderator

Hi @LimeRickey! I've merged your post with an existing thread that will help answer your question. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 23 of 47

Before I start a new thread...

Has there been any resolution to this issue?

Does Square support custom taring with an integrated scale?

This is an imperative feature for us bulk zero-waste stores.

Message 24 of 47

We also have this question and need. We are a refillery and need to either be able to manually enter the tare weight of a container at the time of checkout on the scale, or be able to deduct the tare weight from the transaction on square.

It seems as if square is not considering this as they havent been able to answer the question in many months for many customers.

Will square be integrating with any scales that allow for a manual tare weight entry? The ones you currently support do NOT allow for this functionality.

Message 25 of 47

We just spent two days of vital time trying to find the answer to this very question. We just purchased a nice $500 scale off Squares website and it does not seem to do much other than accurately weigh individual tares. Software like Filljoy is vital to any refillery or bulk store! Come on Square- get on the tare game!

Message 26 of 47
Beta Member

We have run into this same thing and I'm happy we are not alone!  I don't know why this seems to be so difficult to explain to Square's customer service.

We are looking into FillJoy as well... We used Revel before and it was compatible with a really nice Honeywell scale that allowed us to manually subtract tares.  If there was a scale available (similar to a butcher's scale) that is compatible with Square, I would return the Brecknell in a heartbeat.

I second this notion:  Come on Square, get on the tare game!  Also worth noting, Canadian Square software is behind in the US software it seems.  We are waiting on Betas for certain features (like forward-facing display that you don't have to spin)

Message 27 of 47
Beta Member

The new update still doesn't allow for a manual tare weight to be deducted from the weight of the item when using a connected scale. Is this in the works?

Message 28 of 47
Admin

Hi @Daniel72002- I moved your post to this thread where some chat about tare weight is discussed and how to implement. Hoping this helps.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 29 of 47
Beta Member

That's fine, I have work arounds and a current way to do it. I just was making it known that with an update that seems like something Square would have added. $500 scale, $800 register, yet the software still doesn't have a simple button to deduct tare weight manually.

Message 30 of 47

@Daniel72002would you share your work arounds? It is shameful how the industry has failed to address taring.

Message 31 of 47
Beta Member

We simply write the tare weight down, weight the item and product and take it off. With scale connected and no weight on it, you are able to type in the weight manually, so we calculate weight of product and type it in. If not busy we will tare weight, have customer fill up container and then weight like it's designed to do.

Message 32 of 47
Beta Member

Yes, would you mind sharing those work arounds with me as well. 

Message 33 of 47
Beta Member

Unfortunately, none of these solutions work in a fast-paced shop. The discount method messes up inventory count, and the manual tare on the scale is too slow and clunky for any shop doing volume.

Apparently Square does not see this feature as a priority for them. With all the other amazing features Square has, not having this simple tare function is a deal-breaker.

With the exponential growth of zero-waste shops Square is really missing out on a huge market. They basically have an open field to capture all these new merchants if they implemented this function. Until Square implements this all merchants are relegated to legacy systems 😞

If you have a zero waste shop and are looking for a POS, comment here so Square knows that you would like this feature.

Message 34 of 47

Can you hook one scale to two square terminals?

Message 35 of 47

Hi @cornettfarmfres! At this time, you can only connect one scale to each device. If you need to use multiple scales, you can connect one scale to each device you have via Bluetooth. Learn more about supported scales.

AshleyK
Message 36 of 47

So I can bluetooth one scale to two square registers?

Message 37 of 47

Unfortunately, no, Only one bluetooth device can be paired to a register at a time. 

AshleyK
Message 38 of 47

We've been using Deli Label. It integrates beautifully with Square and solves the issues we've had getting Square to work with the scales and label printing at our farm market. https://www.delilabel.app

Message 39 of 47

That is really interesting; thanks! Will this work if we just need to back out the tare for the yogurt cups and just see the "tareless" price on the POS? We don't need to print labels. 

Message 40 of 47

We are a bulk food store, looking for integration with scales to square register.

Square register does not have the ability to tare off weights (through the register) of customers containers. 
At this stage, we have to weigh the customers empty container (write the weight on their container), then they fill up their product, the filled container is then weighed, then we have to manually deduct the weight and input this subtracted weight into square and sell buy weight. - This leaves room for error from staff who subtract incorrectly. 

This is a lengthy process and not suitable for when busy or high turnover.

Please integrate scales to square register and custom tare weights please square, or we will have to choose another system!

Message 41 of 47
Beta Member

I hear you  - I am in the exact same situation. Let's hope Square implements this in an upcoming release. Surely it can't be a complicated feature!!

Message 42 of 47